Jet, Excata fence rail material>>

I recentlly purchased an old Unisaw, and the first time I went to make a "real" cut, other than teast cuts, discovered the Delta fence was limited to a cut of less than 24". I needed to cut a 2 x 4 sheet of ply in half. Moving the rails to the next set of mount holes would work, but limit the left side cut. I could drill new holes a few inches over... But, I happen to have a Jet, Exacta fence, but don't have the rails. I know the rail is 2" x 4" but don't know the wall thickness, or what type of tubing to order, when I call a steel supplier. Mild steel? cold rolled? seamless? etc. I kind of want to speak their language, when I call, and order the right material. I also need to know the size of the angle iron the rail mounts on.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to making a nice saw, even nicer!

Cliff

Reply to
sailor

I have an Exacta II on my Jet contractors saw. Want me to measure something?

Reply to
RayV

If you could measure the wall thickness on the tubing, and the size of the angle iron it mounts on. Anyone know the type of tubing? I want sonething that is STRAIGHT. Thanks

Reply to
sailor

Can't help you with terminology but here are the figures on the Exacta Fence II on my Jet contractors saw:

Angle iron is 1 1/2" x 2" measured on the outside and is 3/16" thick Rail is 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" with a seam along the long edge (mounted down) and is a little less than an 1/8" thick. I'm still a newbie so I don't do 32nds yet ;-).

Hope this helps.

I'm thinking about building a workstation for my saw based on this:

I do build it I want to expand my ripping capacity with a longer rail so post back what you find out.

Reply to
RayV

That rail size should have been 2 x 3, not 2 x 4. Typo !!!

Reply to
sailor

Thanks for the info. Just called a steel supply company, and was quoted a price of $20. for the tube (60") And $7. for the angle iron. Those were prices if mhe had to cut it. It would be less if he had a cut piece in stock. So it's off to the steel supplier tomorrow. Oh gee, it's near the Woodcraft store!!! Who knows what I'll bring home! Mainly going there to check on fence mounting and ext. table mounting. Thanks again to the group. This group is great for people like me who are always in need of more woodworking knowledge.

Reply to
sailor