Jet 6x48 belt/9" disc sander - good machine?

I have been investigating the belt/disc contenders and most of the comments that I have seen pick the Jet over the comparable Delta, even though the Jet is a few bucks more.

My local Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on Jet this saturday which means I could grab it for about $270. As of now, I have decided to go for it as I can't find anything comparable for the price.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with this machine or would recommend something different for about $300?

I guess I would classify myself as an advanced amateur woodworker of 10-12 years experience - not a pro, but in my basement shop whenever I can find an excuse to go there. I am running out of tool space!

On a separate topic, I almost bought a Ryobi spindle sander at HD the other day - seemed pretty hefty for $99. I thought it over and concluded that for that price it is probably a piece of junk. I'll just continue using my DP as spindle sander for now. I had a poor experience with a Ryobi drill/driver set - the drill or driver would stick in the holder and had to use pliers to pry it out - this has left a bad feeling for anthing Ryobi.

Help or comments appreciated.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Just on the last one... That $99 Ryobi has been a pleasant surprise for me. I'm a weekend warrior so it doesn't see heavy use, but I consider it a

*great* addition to the shop and a vast improvement over the drill press drums.

The Ryobi OSS has a home amongst the PC, Delta and Jet gear.

Reply to
mttt

Thanks for the input. As I said, the Ryobi felt heavier than I thought it would be - even had a cast-iron table (I was expecting stamped metal). I know it only oscillates 5/8" where others are 1" or so. The motor seems to be on the small side, but for occassional use, it might be ok.

On the other hand, I've seen delta's spindle sander (BOSS) for about $179 with "free" spindle set.

I usually over-analyze all my tool purchases - drives my wife crazy!

Thanks again.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Lou,

I have the closed stand version of the belt/disk sander and have been very happy with it. I don't use it often but it has worked well when I need it.

As an aside I accidently banged into the table for the disk sander which is cast iron. I broke the adjustment handle and the trunion which allows the table to pivot. I wrote to Jet asking them how much it would cost to buy the replacement parts and they sent the parts to me for free since the cost of each part was under $5.

Rudy

loutent wrote:

Reply to
Rudy Fichtenbaum

Thanks for the info Rudy. I am off to buy the Jet tomorrow. You have confirmed what I have thought since I began investigating the purchase. This will be my first Jet purchase.

Lou

Reply to
loutent