Jet Disc/Belt Sander

I've got the opportunity to pick one of these up for around $400, in very good shape. It's the one with the 6"x48" belt and a 12" disc. It looks like the JSG-6DC on Amazon, except this one has a closed stand base. It's a tool I pretty much need too, as I'm starting to fit trim quite a bit.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Two Words-- Dust Collection

make that Three Words -- Dust Collection, LOTS

Reply to
Borked Pseudo Mailed

I've got just the ShopVac for it. I really hope it sucks.

As an update, I did indeed purchase the sander....for $300.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

$400 was too much, $300 is more like it. I found an older delta 12" disk and 48" belt for $250 last summer but passed on it. No closed steel base on the older delta.

Alan

Reply to
arw01

I had the Jet machine. I wouldn't buy it again. You can get a used Delta or Rockwell in the $250 to $400 range if you are persistent and act fast. The cast iron platen on the Jet was soft and it was no longer flat. There were divots and valleys which made it difficult to use. The belt tensioner is very simple but the belt wondered. The motor went bad during the warranty period so they replaced the unit. It went bad 3 years later. It didn't have much use. I picked up a 30 year old Delta and it is still going strong. max

Reply to
max

Gave 500 new on my JET; use it often. As to the base, it's in the rafters of the shed, replaced by one which stores my router "table" and is low enough to provide board clearance in my small shop. It's blue, but I don't hold that against it.

Reply to
George

On 28 Dec 2005 14:05:57 -0800, "Jay Pique"

it will not do a good job. this is a great sander but it sucks about sawdust removal. the internal airflow is not good at all. I did some mods so I have a hose on each part. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

you need to use protection on the platen. graphite pad works great. this is typical and I would not see any steel but a hardened surface lasting long. even some 0-1 hardened to rc 62 wears under the belt. at first the belt wandered on mine but then it settled down. Jet sent me new spring plates but then it stopped. motor flaws are a random thing for sure. mine has run for hours at a time and gets a huge amount of abuse. plus the jet motor is sealed so you can grind steel with it. can't do that on the delta. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight