JDS Cyclones anyone?

I have a headroom problem, and JDS is about all that will fit. Has anyone used one? They claim to have a different impeller design that gives better suction at higher static pressures; if true, that is good since I will be using it with a 4" hose. Sadly I just don't have the room for permanent installations; all my tools are mobil.

The JDS salesman says that the 3hp would be overkill; for one tool I would get all the suction I could use from the 2hp. But I don't want to buy a small machine and have to upgrade latter on; that is just false economy. I have done that a few times in the past (okay, many times...) and regretted it. Plus, it seems to me that a 3hp has to perform better than a 2hp on something open like a CMS. Any thoughts on this issue?

Reply to
Toller

clearvuecyclones has a low ceiling model, but I don't think you want to hook that 5 hp leeson motor up to a 4" hose.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Oneida has a short, mobile version:

Andy

It it had been on their recent sale I would have been tempted, but it is a lot of money for a small machine.

Reply to
Toller

Reply to
trs80

How much headroom do you have? I have a Clear Vue one that I put between the joists in the basement ceiling (modified the bracket plans).. I suppose you could also use a shorter collection bin.

BTW, the clear vue footprint is only about 2' X 3'. That's not too bad.

If you want to avoid upgrading later on, I think you are going to have to give up on a mobile cyclone.

Reply to
bf

No, it is the tools that are mobil. My DC is fixed.

Reply to
Toller

It appears that the Oneida Portable is on sale now - about $275 off. Haven't heard from anyone with one, although Oneida seems to have a good reputation with their other collectors.

Reply to
TH

I would probably buy one if it were $275 off, but I just went to Oneida's website and they don't show the discount. Do you have some good information on the discount? $1500 is just too much; I can get the 3hp JDS for that.

Reply to
Toller

Call or talk to a salesperson. I emailed a request for a quote last night and got the reply this morning. $278 limited time winter discount.

I'm pretty close to Syracuse and was thinking of picking it up - but it won't fit in the jeep.

Reply to
TH

They are in Syracuse!? I am in Rochester, so this just might work out. Thanks much.

Reply to
Toller

I am trying to decide between the two units - Oneida and the JDS. Both of the units are either too new or too rare to develop any likes or dislikes from users. I looked into the Small Clearvue and wasn't sold on it.

I am still trying to figure out if the Oneida is actually a single stage collector with a cone shaped chute to the collection bins or a cyclone.

Reply to
TH

We are going though exactly the same issues. I am undecided between the portable Oneida, the 3hp JDS and the 2hp JDS.

Reading though the assembly instructions, it is a real cyclone; but it is a little tiny cyclone. As such the suction is 2/3rds that of the 2hp Gorilla and the separation probably isn't as good either. I expect the filters will clog up much faster than on a big cyclone. Oh for just a couple extra inches of ceiling height!

Woodcraft in Rochester is having a 10% off sale next week. I am leaning to getting a 3hp JDS then. It is probably overkill, but that is better than regretting I didn't get a big enough unit. Where are you located?

Reply to
Toller

Saratoga Springs.

In looking at the magazine review on the Oneida website I have never seen fan curves as flat as those from the JDS 3Hp unit.

The JDS website really doesn't have any data that helps in the decision. Amazon has a couple of customer reviews of the JDS units.

I still am undecided.

Reply to
TH