Anyone using a JDS 3hp cyclone?

They say it draws 18a and can be run on a 20a circuit, but they suggest a

30a circuit.

Until I get around to ripping all my cables out of my work shop and redoing them properly (I have already bought the subpanel...) I only have a 20a circuit, so I am wondering if it actually works.

And, how do you like it in general? JDS actually said that for one machine their 2hp would be adequate, but I figure on something like a CMS you need all the air movement you can get.

Reply to
Toller

"They" don't have a clue if they suggest a 20A c'bkr.

You need 30A.

Thermal/Magnetic c'bkrs are designed to operate at 80% of rating on a continuous basis under normal ambient temperatures.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That depends on whether the 18A is peak, or continuous, current. If the continuous current is 16A or less, a 20A breaker is fine. If it's over 16A, then a 30A breaker is needed.

Exactly -- which is why it's important to know whether the 18A is peak or continuous.

Reply to
Doug Miller
18 amps is full load current of the 3hp motor on the JDS cyclone. Jack
Reply to
Jack

dc's suck a lot of power when they start. far more then most tools do. mine really takes some power to get revved up to full power.

Reply to
Steve knight

Full load current (amps) of a motor is the continuous loading of the motor (ignoring service factor ) before overheating damage to the motor will begin. Starting currents and duration are another rating that depends on motor design and loading.

Reply to
Jack

Full load current (amps) of a motor is the continuous loading of the motor (ignoring service factor ) before overheating damage to the motor will begin. Starting currents and duration are another rating that depends on motor design and loading.

Reply to
Jack

My 3hp cyclone is on a 25 amp breaker.

Reply to