Is There An Endgrain In Particleboard?

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:05:42 -0500, Tom Watson vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Yes. The endgrain is far weaker for screw holding, both for pullout and for movement sideways. That holds even more so if the screw is pulling along the wood end, rather than across it. This gets difficult, as I reckon the screw will start _loosening_ more easily along the end, but will tear the wood to pieces across ways more easily.

If the end is clamped between other wood (in a dado for instance) this can change a lot.

Reply to
OldNick

I don't like or use particle board.

Didn't like OSB too much until I did a fair amount of work with it (shearwall testing); changed my opinion.

MDF id pretty good stuff; strong, machines well and paints up nice. I use it a lot for shop garage cabinets / shelving.

MDF has 4 planes of "endgrain" but one can work around it.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207