Is it possible? I wonder ... hmmm

For some reason, I've recently got the idea in my head that, with a little change to the gearing (perhaps just reversing the cogs), and the exchange of a cutterhead with a roller, you could use an old thicknesser as a 12" sander.

Anyone around who really knows these things? Is it possible? I am thinking that it would be feasible, even if a hundred or so was spent on getting a roller to fit.

Reply to
Groggy

Not a new idea, but the business of clipping the paper to the roller and cooling it as it sands is the killer. You can (could, anyway) buy dual capable machines, but none of them operate with screaming, underpowered universal motors.

Reply to
George

Wow - What a coincidence! I was just thinking about this idea 5 minutes ago - while contemplating the best way to sand segmented rings absolutely flat. (For woodturning segmented vessels).

Then reality struck as I contemplated the high speed of the cutterhead and the horrific whine of the Taiwanese universal motor.

Me thinks a couple of pillow blocks and an old roller from a LaserJet coupled to a slower surplus induction motor might be a better plan. Move the platform (height and lateral position) rather than the sanding head on multiple, cogged belt or chain driven threaded rods to prevent skew, and viola - another Rube Goldberg kludge to erase your fingertips. ;-)

Might work for smallish items...

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Some of our readers may be interested to take a peek here:

have seen this in action at a woodshow and was intrigued..

point is.. he sells parts too.

Reply to
Robatoy

Here's a few more links I've picked up on the wreck:

'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to build a drum and use it on a lathe. Seems like it would be workable to me...

-John

Reply to
John Girouard

See also:

to be essentially the same thing. Their kit uses link belt instead of a rubber belt, and has balanced pulleys, but doesn't include the hinges/bolts.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen