Interesting video on wood movement.

Good example. I used to calculate the 'increase of diameter' of a band placed around the world. It was set up to put a tight belt and then add a 12" extension of the band. Question - how high would the belt rise over the earth... ?

Lesson - just leave a little room for wood expansion.

Mart> This guy Jack Houweling puts it in perspective.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I recall that question. I never could really believe the answer that came with it. For perspective on the answer that I heard I compared the result of adding 12" to a man's belt. Oddly the earth answer was greater than the mans belt example. I highly suspect that the earth answer that I heard was missing some digits to the right of the decimal point. Basically you are adding 1/12,672,000 to the diameter in the earth example.

Reply to
Leon

About 2". Diameter and circumference are linearly related. You add 1 to diameter, you add pi to circumference. You add 12 to circumference, you add 12/pi to diameter. That's about 4", 2" on each side of the planet.

I've heard the claim that it is some huge difference, but never seen anyone show their work.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

Hummmmmmm Seems to be just shy of 4" added to the radius.

Reply to
Leon

Make that diameter.

Reply to
Leon

Unless it's the mil rate of your house. It can add up to some real cash.

Reply to
krw

It would be a step up from the last half-decade.

Reply to
krw

THe calculated the difference by using only symbols. Never used real numbers until the end.

Mart> Mart>> Good example. I used to calculate the 'increase of diameter' of

Reply to
Martin Eastburn