Re: What is it? Set 539 - Answers

3150) Hmm ... the drawing gives more information than the photo does. >

> It looks like a repeating stroke center punch with a replaceable > tip. Turn the crank and it both rotates the punch and strikes > it by raising the weight (7) and dropping it (assisted by the > spring) multiple times per rotation. > > The teeth on the spur gear, and the worm gear have a buttress > tooth formation, allowing it to raise and then drop the weight > once or more per crank rotation (depending on how many starts > the thread of the worm has) -- and it looks like the point is > rotated about once per three turns of the crank. > > if the point had a drill bit shape, it would be sort of like a > manual hammer drill, but the point looks purely conical.

Good description of it. I've never used a hammer drill and don't know why the point isn't more like a drill bit shape.

The answers for this week's set have been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Posting from my desktop PC in the living room, as always.

Hammer drills are used for making hole in cement, they both rotate, and pound forward. I've got one that's many years old, and it does a good job when used with masonry bit. Doesn't work at all well when used with high speed bit, into cement. The bit goes dull immediately, and then it stops drilling. Last week, I saw a worker using a cordless Dewalt hammer drill, that was impressive. Much quieter than my corded old one.

Thanks for posting the answers. I'm pretty sure you've posted the board gage before, but could not remember the use. The terminal clamp, I bought one years ago, but never had a clamp that corroded on. Usually whacking the terminal with a wrench would loosen the corrosion, after the bolt was loosened.

My parents house, the chimney flue is adjusted by a turn knob. Their chimney is on the outside of the building. We have to hold a piece of news paper up the chimney and light it to start the draft, or the smoke doesn't go up. (exterior chimney full of cold air). The folks next door, the fireplace is in center of the house, and they never have trouble with the draft.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the info on the hammer drill. Good memory on the board gauge, I did post it once before a long time ago.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I was introduced to hammer drills on a job where they had been contracted to install 300 plus deadbolts, half of them went into steel frame doors with cement filled jamb. That was a lot of work, and kept a couple guys occupied for several months.

The ice chipper also was familiar, but had forgot what that did. Not a lobster skewer after all.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon