Interesting Delta News

I stopped after a meeting today to check out the DJ20 and the 14" at my local coastaltool.com and the Delta rep was there. Man was it an informative discussion we had.

1.) Delta is on the block to be sold. Apparently, Pentair the parent company is looking to strategically align their business around water pumps, etc... They reecntly acquired WICOR and looking to purchase other water related companies. He mentioned that Ryobi is taking a look at the Delta, P&C, and Debliss businesses.

There are tools still made/assembled in the US. The Unisaw, contractor saw, sanders, and the new 14" X5 Bandsaw is now made in Tupelo,MS not Asia. For how long that continues who knows.

3.) The new X5 DJ20 is all made overseas where as the old DJ20 the cabinet and motor are made in the US. I'm picking up my DJ20 on Saturday.

You all may know this info but I thought I would share what I learned.

FWIW

Rich

Reply to
RKON

Your sentence is a little unclear, but just so you know (and to clarify what I think you meant in your statement), the DJ20 has been made overseas for some time. My DJ-15 (vintage about 10-12 years ago) was made in Brazil, probably by Invicta (looks identical to an Invicta DI-15. My DJ20 (vintage about 3-5 years ago) was made in China.

In both cases, the base cabinet and the motor are US made, but the machines are not.

You'll love the DJ20 in any event.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

One thing the Rep kept saying was how much he loved his DJ15 and wished they had still made it to compete against the Powermatic 54A. He did an excellent job showing me the difference between the beds of the Powermatic and the Delta. It was really a good demo because they were right next to each other.

Reply to
RKON

If you would be interested in a '15 and live near NE Florida, mine is for sale.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Thanks, ut I have my heart set on the DJ20 and I found one of the leftovers for $1099. It was too good of deal to pass up.

Rich

Reply to
RKON

I read an article a couple of weeks ago that the Tupelo plant is closing after 50 + years of service , mfg will be divided between Jackson, TN and the rest outsourced to China in the way of motor windings etc. but you can bet your bottom dollar that China will see the lion's share in the long run. " Beginning of the End."

Reply to
Seeker

The "beginning of the end" was in 1952 when Rockwell closed the Milwaukee plant and moved manufacturing to Tupelo.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I think a more likely buyer is Newell-Rubbermaid. They have been buying up tool companies for years and are looking for a power tool line to supplement their hand tools. My brother works for them and told me a while back they were looking at buying something "yellow". Delta be a different color scheme, but still a power tool line.

Reply to
bob

Bob notes:

I heard last week that Ryobi's new owner was the major looker. Whether or not Newell-Rubbermaid is in the mix, who knows. I haven't heard anything to that effect, but until last week, I hadn't heard they were up for sale, either.

Charlie Self "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Will Rogers

Reply to
Charlie Self

Very interesting, especially since Newell is in the process of shutting RubberMaid down, at least in Wooster, Ohio where it was founded over 50 years ago.

Haven't heard, they may be taking RubberMaid to China.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lubbelmaid"?

Barry