Installing A 1985 Delta Uniguard On A 1998 Unisaw

I bought a new 1985 model 34-885 Uniguard on Ebay. It arrived today and I was excited to attach it to my 1998 Unisaw. No go, as the cast Uniguard bracket profile is different from the saw cabinet profile at the corner. Also, there looks to be a boss on the underside of the table for the second attachment hole about 3 inches from the corner hole but the there is a lip on the cabinet that covers the hole. Is anyone familiar with the various versions of the Uniguard and Unisaws to point me to a model/part number of a bracket that will fit my Unisaw Model 36-816 which is factory painted white?

I considered the current Deluxe Uniguard model 34-976 but did not want to spend $300.00 for it. Looks like I may have to if I cannot fine a solution with my bracket.

I downloaded the manual for the 34-976 and in the diagrams to attach the support arm of the Uniguard, the back left corner of the cabinet looks like it is indented. This may have been done to be able to attach the 34-885 bracket on earlier Unisaws. I will also call Delta customer service tomorrow and see if they can help.

I could also make a template of the cabinet corner profile and have the existing casting ground to match the template.

Any help would, as usual, be appreciated.

Roger

Reply to
WoodMan

The current model 34-976 has three brackets. two of them attach to the table edge not to the cabinet. They provide an offset away from the table to mount the formed tube. The third attaches to the extension table and can be adapted to a variety of fence and extension table types dependending on whether it has an apron or a sheet metal angle support. Or it is not used if you do not have a extended capacity fence system.

I thought the old version of the Uniguard attached the same way, but it has been a while since I have mounted one and memory fades.

You will probably have to get past customer service and talk with someone in tech service on adaptation of an obsolete number.

repost if you can't get any help. I'll call an oldtimer.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Thanks for the offered help Frank,

Did you work or are you working for Delta? I have seen several of your posts and your knowledge of Delta (Rockwell) woodworking equipement goes far beyond us regular saw dusters.

I called Delta Customer Support on last Friday and spoke to a woman regarding the Unigard. When she couldn't answer my question, other than what was her standard spiel of Delta does not support discontined accessories, I asked to speak to a technician. She said she had all the knowledge regarding my question. I then asked her could she verify that the table left rear on my 36-816 has a drilled and tapped hole that was used for the Unigard bracket. She could not. I persisted and she offered to have someone from engineering call me. Hopefully, that will be tommorrow, Monday.

I'll get back to you if that turns to be a bust.

Roger

Reply to
WoodMan

I no longer work for Delta, but did so for many years.

There is only one individual left in Enginneering who might be able to answer your question. Hopefully they will give it to him. There used to be a couple of fairly savy people in Tech service, but maybe they have all been released.

Feel free. I'll help if I can.

And the normal disclaimer. I represent no one but myself.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I then asked her could she verify

BTW, your table should have two tapped holes on the back side of the table. The tap should be 3/8"-24, and they are located a couple of inches from each edge.

The mounting screws for the current unit brackets are 3/8"-24 x 1-1/4" soc. hd. screws.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher