Question about Deluxe Uniguard Blade Guard 34-976

I am looking for some input (or pics) on this blade guard system from an owner. I am getting conflicting information from Delta on whether a Deluxe Uniguard Blade Guard 34-976 will fit my new 36-655 10" Tilting Arbour Saw (the Contractor Saw with a Cabinet). One Delta tech (here in Canada) said yes, since it's based on the Contractor Saw design, accessories that can adapt will fit, another says no, the rear rip fence rail will interfer with mounting. (They admit they haven't actually tried it and I haven't found a 34-976 anywhere to see how they attach although I'm thinking its along the rear edge of the table or rear rip fence rail.)

I see also that there's a Uniguard Strap Kit 78-953 that says it replaces the rear angle rail of Home Shop Fence Systems for mounting the blade guard system.

I'm confused. Anyone able to lend some advice? Please copy me by email: wayne#settingupshop.com

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Powell

I own one, but it is attached to a Unisaw. The Uniguard mounts to the rear of the cast iron table and extension table, with brackets designed to hold the bottom tube of the overarm assembly. Said brackets (4) are bolted to holes predrilled into the back of the cast iron table of a Unisaw, and to holes that must be drilled into back of the extension table.

My guess is that if there is a rear rip rail, or any obstruction on the back of the saw table or extension table, the above installation would definitely NOT work without a modification of some sort.

That said, anything can be modified to fit in some way if you want to go to the trouble ... this particular guard could not inconceivably be ceiling mounted and still perform its function.

There is a small picture of the guard at:

Swingman

Thank you!

I found the manual for the Uniguard on Delta's web site, and it shows that it can be mounted underneath a Unifence back rail (that is the clips attach to the table, the rail on top of the clips) and the tube sits suspended underneath the rear fence rail (so in theory it is possible it will work with the Contractor's fence).

How do you like the Uniguard?

Wayne P.

> --

Reply to
Wayne Powell

If the tube is mounted lower, which it must be to be below any back rail, I would be concerned with clearance problems when using the fence close to the blade.

The guard is versatile and conveniently swings out of the way without need for removal, is easily removed by hand with one knob if necessary, and consequently stays mounted on my saw for most cuts.

The splitter is outstanding, easily removable and replaced, by hand, for non-through cuts.

... all of which (convenience) is key to encouraging the use of safety devices.

Reply to
Swingman