iGaging Squares - Is Anybody Familiar With That Brand?

As anyone heard of a company called iGaging? That set of three engineers squares for $30 seems interesting but not if they're crap, of course.

DerbyDad03

I have several types of iGaging rules and squares. If I had to guess, they are either Chinese or other country imports, but I really like the rules. Clean, crisp markings, nicely brushed stainless bodies, and as accurate as I need. I picked up a few of the 6" from Rockler when they had them on sale for $1 each since they always seem to hide in my shop.

The sliding squares are of similar quality and when compared against my Starret, appear to be dead on.

As to the engineer squares, I have a set of three (India) that I use all the time for setups and checks (paid about $20 a few years ago). I'd imagine the ones you are looking at could be no worse than these.

My main goal with buying these "cheap" squares was to have something that I won't fret over if dropped. The bodies/blades don't seem hardened as they dent easily, but they serve their purpose well (for me). They check out as square "enough" on both the inside and outside.

Seeing cheap tools like these compared against quality products shows they cut corners typically by avoiding and further heat treating of the metals and skimping on quality printing. As stated, the iGaging rules I own use excellent etched markings.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

They're the same Asian machinist squares you'll see at Grizzley or on Amazon and eBay for around the same price or more. Except they get their etched with a logo. :-)

They are either flat and square or not and with no moving parts, there's not much that can go wrong.

I have yet to come across a generic combination square that was square. I've gone through the shelves at Woodcraft and none of their generics were square. That's something I've lacked and will probably end up laying down the cash for a Starrett at some point.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Combination squares are easily adjusted if they are not square. See

I used a few light strokes with a file to adjust my $8 Empire version about 25 years ago. After many projects, drops, and rough usage it is still square. My Starrett mostly stays in the tool chest unless I need measurements accurate to 1/64.

I'd require engineer's squares to be square out of the box. It's too much work to fix a bad one, I'd make my own from scratch first.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Guess what I'll be doing this afternoon? :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

This is almost too funny.

If you buy them at the link I provided, they send you through Amazon Pay. You log in using your Amazon id and your shipping cost appears. $8.97 for USPS. Total: $38.97

Instead you can go directly to Amazon and buy them for $37.95 with "free" shipping. A $1.02 cheaper *and* you get the logo. ;-)

In any case (no pun intended) I'm going to try these instead.

Then choose the "other sellers" option. $41.74 with free shipping.

For an extra $3.79, you get 4 squares instead 3 and a wooden case. More reviews and a higher percentage of 5's vs. 4's.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yeah, they're all the same. Like I said, they're either square or they're not. If they're square, and you saved money, coolio.

Reply to
-MIKE-