I stole from Home Depot!

Reasonable suspicion is the sirens going off from the magnetic strip on some packages. First time it happened, I did stop, but raised hell with the manager because of the incompetence of the cashier that did not deactivate it.

Another time, the cashier was not able to get to it on a large item so she said she'd just wave me on at the door. What she did not know was the device came of easily and I stuck it on the bottom of the cart for the next user.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

All I can say is go to Frys and see, They always check to make sure whats in the bag is what you purchased they then mark the receipt with a marker showing that it was checked (Wilsonville Oregon call and ask about thier policy). I have had this done at walmart as well. Not arguing with you about the legalities but I know what they do around the Portland Metro area. As far as detaining you, store security can detain you and they are no more then citizens. Don't know where you live but I would have agreed with you years ago when I was a security guard but so many laws have changed in the past 25 to 30 years. I know what I see and what the police have told me about being able to detain people for probable cause. By denying them the access to the bag/cart you give them probable cause to suspect even if your standing on your rightfully so lorrals. This is so far off wood working I am going back into my shop and build a tool box. Have a good day and I hope if you run into what we talked about you are correct and the law enforcement officers lied to me. Back to wood working topics for me.

Al

"John Emmons" wrote in message news:2nx8g.47314$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
Al

You are making an offtopic argument then, as what's being asserted is that snooping through your bag thing is completely voluntary on your part and they have no right to do it if you refuse. If they suspect you are a shoplifter they have procedures to follow. If they don't, they have procedures to follow.

The trial court erred in directing verdict for defendant grocery store manager as to plaintiff's claim for assault and battery where the evidence tended to show that the manager accused plaintiff of stealing cartons of cigarettes, grabbed plaintiff's arm, and pulled him two aisles down toward the store office. Since defendant manager was acting within the scope of his employment by the corporate defendant, the manager's actions will be imputed to the corporate defendant under the doctrine of respondeat superior.

etc.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Hey, I bean there! And I've always meekly opened my bag and handed them the receipt to compare...

Next time I might try to just keep walking and when they stop me, in a loud voice I'll ask, "Are you saying you think I stole something from your store?!"

In all likelyhood, the kid'll stammer out a "no" and I'll thank them and again head out to my truck...

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

You, sir, "don't know what you don't know."

You are, quite simply, _wrong_.

There is *lots* of case-law on that point.

"one thousand percent" wrong.

*IF* they have notice prominently posted where you see it upon _entry_ to the store, they _do_ have the *legal*right* to do so.

They have made it a condition of entry onto the premises -- their _private_ _property_ -- and you have *agreed* to that condition by entering the premises.

The stores that have gotten "in trouble" over the matter have had trouble _because_ of 'defects' in the posted notice. e.g. 'not sufficiently visible'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

show us a statute to support your statement.

Dave

Reply to
David

so you are backing away from your earlier assertion??

Dave

Reply to
David

Rephrase your statement to "Are you ACCUSING me of stealing something from your store?". Do this with witnesses in the immediate area...

Dave

Reply to
David

John Emmons :

Robert Bonomi :

John Emmons :

Robert Bonomi :

John Emmons :

Robert Bonomi :

What case law? I have not seen one sign, anywhere, that advises me that the store may detain and inspect my property upon completion of the sale and prior to my exiting the premises. Fry's, Home Depot, Best Buy and Costco all have lemmings lined up to have their stuff pawed over by a snot nosed teenager or some menacing guard. Me, I just say excuse me and walk out the door.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Costco and Sams frame the request in a light that they are making sure they didn't charge you for something you didn't get.

Reply to
gfretwell

They also check everyone's basket, not just spot checks. Therefore, I don't feel singled out at Costco. Besides, the prices are so good, I'm not gonna complain about them checking baskets at the exit...

dave

Reply to
David

They can ask, they cannot demand, unless it's something local to Oregon. Likewise, if you set off their stupid door alarms, you are not obligated to stop. It is not a sufficient legal reason to detain you because some clueless checker didn't deactivate the alarm.

The only exception to this are membership stores where you have to be a member in good standing with a membership card to enter the store. There, you've signed an agreement to let them do it as a part of your membership and if you refuse, they have the right to revoke your membership.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Nope, that's not even reasonable suspicion. Their security team has to have proof that you stole something (ie. you on video doing it). The alarms at the doors are largely a deterrent, not a way to catch people. You have zero obligation to stop.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Nope, I walk through Fry's without the receipt check too. They ask to see my receipt, I say no and keep on walking. Stores like Fry's and Wal-Mart rely on the fact that most people are sheep and will mindlessly do whatever someone in a supposed position of authority tells them to do.

They can no more demand to see your receipt than you can to see the contents of their pockets. Probable cause requires a lot more than exercising your legal rights.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

this may be true, BUT, chances are if you take something back and there is no mark on it from the door checker, they're not likely to allow you to return the material.

Here lately, WalMart has really backed off in our area, they just like to check the carts that are carrying oversized items that are not bagged.

personally, i stop, not because i am a sheeple, more to the fact that stealing affects all of us in the long run.

Reply to
nanook

Walmart here in S'toon only checks items that aren't bagged, ie larger items in the cart. If the checker is right there, I don't mind the 2.5 seconds it takes to smile, say hello, and show her the receipt that has the item highlighted by the checkout clerk, but if she's busy checking someone else I just walk out the door (I'm certainly not going to queue for them) and have never been chased after.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Those things are great, you here them all the time at Home Depot and Lowe's "Beep Pardon us but we failed to remove the inventory control tag" Of course the inventory control is done by scanning the bar code, but anti-theft sounds more negative than inventory control. When I was in college a guy in my class used to spend many an evening in Best Buy peeling those tags off of merchandise and carefully placing them stick side up on the floor where they would be stepped on and get stuck to someone's shoe so they would set off the alarm when they tried to exit the building.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Really?

They can legaly check your bags/carts from the store and verify your receipt

Reply to
George Shouse

Reply to
Tim Taylor