I need a stragety for getting Jointer (Rockwell 37-315) knife Nuts Loose

I posted yesterday about where to get new knives for the Rockwell jointer 37-315 that I am restoreing. Thanks to all who pushed me in the right direction. As experinced woodworkers might have geussed that before the knives can be replaced you need to get them off the cutter head. That is easier said than done. I need help un-freezing the nuts that hold the knives in place. As soon as I came to a stuck nut I stopped in fear that I would strip them.

Thanks again to the people that have been helping me out through out this process.

Dan Murray

Reply to
Dan Murray

which way are you trying to turn them??

David

Dan Murray wrote:

Reply to
David

I loosened several easily by pulling the 8mm wrench towards me as I stood on the operator side of the Jointer. I stopped when some nuts froze.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murray

Start by soaking them over night(ish) in Marvel Oil.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

PB Blaster from any parts store and many Home Centers. Soak it all night for the first try.

A jo> As experinced woodworkers might have geussed that before the knives

Reply to
Pat Barber

If that doesn't work, Kroil from Kano Labs.

They are on the web.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've had good luck over the years with liquid wrench. Tapping the head with a punch and hammer (lightly) sometimes helps. Last resort - you might try heat (torch)

Reply to
Gary

If you do opt for the torch, try dripping candle wax around them. It saved my butt when working on the axle of a tractor once. It really works too!

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

If you try to apply heat to the bolt head it will work to expand the bolt and cause it to freeze even more. You want to heat up the area around the bolt but not the bolt itself. Sometimes that is easier said than done. I would go for the lubricants first. But be aware that if you do use them you should not put a flame anywhere near them later on.

I would use a six-po> I've had good luck over the years with liquid wrench. Tapping the head

Reply to
DIYGUY

And how, exactly, do you get a six-point socket over the jackscrews?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

B..bbbb...but, he is the DIYGUY!

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

The thing that helped me the most was to take a large hammer to the side of the thickest 8mm wrench I could find that would still fit in the slot in the planer head. Whacking the side on an anvil closed up the wrench until it was a very tight fit on the nut. That let me but more torque on the nut without fear of rounding it.

Regards, Ed

Reply to
Ed Bailen

Dan wrote:>>I loosened several easily by pulling the 8mm wrench towards me as I

Then I believe you're turning the bolt the wrong way. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom