OSB Prices

I am getting ready to build a small shed (16X24) for woodworking. I noticed this week that the prices of 7/16 OSB in TX have dropped almost in half. $10 a sheet from $17. Does anyone know if these prices are going to stay or what the "Futures" are for OSB?

I'm not ready for the roof decking but may have to buy it just to save $7 a sheet.

Reply to
Elmar

Let me strongly suggest not to scrimp on the roof decking. Get the radiant barrier decking to keep the inside cooler. I am finishing up on a 10x12 storage shed and used the foil sided decking and the inside, even closed up is no hotter than the outside of the building. The radiant barrier was $4 per sheet extra over regular plywood.

Two more suggestions, Tyvek sheathing instead of tar paper around the building. No tar smell and it's white color helps illuminate the inside. Lastly, Hardi Board or Plank for the siding. A bit harder to put up but it has a 50 year warranty and holds paint well. About $7 for a 12"x12' piece or $18 for about the same coverage as a sheet of plywood. Hardiplank will not rot and insects do not eat it.

Reply to
Leon

leon -- Where are you putting the Tyvek? It goes over the sheathing and under the siding, so what/how is it illuminating? Do you put it over the framing and under the sheathing?

Reply to
igor

igor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not everywhere in the world needs both sheathing and siding. Those of us in certain, temperate climates often use 1 product engineered for both functions. Particularly when working on an outbuilding.

The Tyvek would go over the frame, and under the siding/sheathing.

That's where I put my building felt/tar paper. Under the T-111 (?). But mine's an 8x12, sized to hold stuff kicked out of the former garage (now shop), and fit under the 'needs a building permit and variance' size restriction.

I think I remeber Leon's in the Houston area. Heat reflection would be very important there.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I misspoke here. No sheathing, simply Tyvek stapled on the outside studs, and Hardiplank over that. I am using the Tyvek simply to keep it dry inside and to keep the smell out.

Reply to
Leon

I don't know what the futures markets are doing but we are seeing the same thing just North of you. My daughter's family is getting ready to build a victorian styled home in Central Kansas and their builder is rebidding the entire Bill of Material. He says that prices on sheet and some regular lumber stock has dropped on average of 25% in the past couple of months.

Steel is just the opposite. My son builds commercial steel buildings for a Kansas/ Arkansas/ Oklahoma construction company. Their estimators are going nuts trying to keep up with material prices. He can buy steel building kits at a fraction of our cost but recently converted from steel to wood on a personal building project. Looks like we are going to see similar price changes on machine tools - Grizzly has already warned.

Reply to
RonB

It has been my experience over the last 5 years I've put up Hardipanel(sheets) that underlayment is the way to go. Hardipanel does not hold nails well and the sheets often will pop loose, especially on the edges where you might be trying to nail to half a stud. I don't believe there is enough shear value either, but thats just an opinion. I have tried different nail guns and nailing by hand. Next year, I will be redoing the non-sheathed walls..

tweaked

James Hardi has explicit instructions of the type of fastener and length to use. I have about the same experience of usage time wise and have had no problems like you are mentioning.

Reply to
Leon

I am building the second house with HardiPlank exterior in the past two years. Used "vent skin" construction on both (Hardi nailed to vertical 1" x

4"s on 24" centers on top of the exterior wall sheathing, and the resultant space is vented into the attic behind the soffit where the ridge vents keep circulation going). There is a problem blind nailing Hardiplank ... a rattle that sounds like Bubba's poorly made double wide when you smack the siding with the flat of your hand, NOT good in a half million dollar home. Only way around it is to forego blind nailing.

Other than that, HardiPlank is the cat's meow in this area. I also spec Hardiboard behind showers/bathroom walls where greenboard used to go ... goes a long way toward mold mitigation for those who are excessively alarmed about it.

Reply to
Swingman

Whoda thunk? Thanks.-- Igor

Reply to
igor

IIRC the specs call for 2" long nails. If you nails are goint through 1x material, it may not have the holding power if nailed into the edge of 2x material. Still only blind nailing will allow for the bottoms to wiggle. I use 12" wide material and the specs call for top and bottom nailing.

So, Swingman are you a builder or contractor?

Reply to
Leon

They're actually nailed into studs behind the sheathing.

Yabbut, blind nailing looks so much better on siding, though. It's about the only thing I don't like about HardiPlank .. that, and it's tough to trim with.

Yes sir, among other things. :) I am general contractor on about one home a year. I'm just ready to move forward with another one in West U ... demolition scheduled for next week, and plans and engineering just finished. It'll be a**holes and elbows (mine) for the next 6 months. That's why I haven't finished that damn kitchen bench that's sitting in the shop waiting for a seat.

Reply to
Swingman

West U. Have you heard of Gary Chandler? He remodels and builds homes in the West U area. He just sold his home that was at Sunset Blvd just west of Edloe and moved in to his new home at the corner of Edloe and Carlon, first street north of Bellaire Blvd.

Reply to
Leon

Heard the name, yes. AAMOF, one of my offices, and SWMBO's, is at University and Edloe. Reside on Oberlin, about six blocks north of Bellaire ... if you're in the neighborhood often, you need to stop by sometime and help me blow out my shop with your leaf blower. ;>) You can drop me an e-mail by removing the obvious ... the coffee pot is always on. (karlcaillouet AT nospamyahooDOTcom)

Reply to
Swingman

I'll have to drop by some time. I'll let you know before hand.

I work with an old friend, George Chandler, Gary's dad. We worked in the automotive business together in 1977. We ran the BFGoodrich store at Morningside and Times in the Village. In 1978 I went to manage for a Oldsmobile dealership downtown and George and I got back together doing repairs in 1998. Gary is about 4 years younger than me. When my wife and I met in 1977, she lived on Beach Street off NewCastle, about 1/2 mile from your house.

Reply to
Leon

From 1975 -1979 I lived just off Morningside, on McClendon, and bought my tires from BFG! ;>)

I've not had the pleasure of meeting Gary Chandler, but have heard of him through a mutual acquaintance/neighbor who built his first house in Bellaire last year and received some kind assistance from him.

Give us a holler when you get a chance.

Reply to
Swingman

Small World. We may have met, I was 22 at the time I was there in 1977. George managed the store longer than the years that you mentioned. We spent more than a few hours after work at the Poor Mans Country Club across the street.

Gary recently designed, built, and completed a home for a doctor in the area. IIRC 12,000+ sq feet with a 5,000 sq. foot gymnasium in the back. The houses that Gary designes stand out from the ordinary.

I'll do it.

Reply to
Leon