I hate it when this happens

====================== You have any 10-15 year old sons....?

Mine used a lot of my ..too good to throw away but not needed Stuff ...at that age...unfortunately they switched to tools when they turned 16 and got their "wheels"....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, but they won't match each other...

Patriarch, who's found another tool to blame.

Reply to
patriarch

There's something kind of gut-wrenching about finding a 3' piece of surfaced 1x8 white oak with a couple dozen 16d nails through it into an old 4x4 to make an "airplane".

Raising kids costs a lot more than money...

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I remember breaking off chisel tips when using them to open paint cans. At six years old, using a screwdriver didn't appeal to me somehow. I remember the time my father lined an entire wall in the basement with custom built shelves and sliding drawers. One day I "decorated" them extensively with a few writing utensils. And then there was the three level clubhouse I built in the backyard. It towered above all the fences and dividing bushes in all the backyards in the block. It must have been the most tremendous eyesore, yet I don't remember my father once getting angry at any time for any of these things. At least he didn't show it.

It was only a number of years later that I realized that I must have been a major contributor to the gastric ulcer he endured all those years.

Reply to
Upscale

I was about 4 when dad, in his spare time, was building the house I grew up in. Dad would sometimes have to keep me while he was working on the house so he found ways to keep me busy. One was to give me a 2x4, some 10 penny nails and a hammer and send into the back yard. Well, first I got into trouble for pounding the nails into the ground because that went much faster than trying to pound them into the 2x4. But later, after watching him nail in all the maple flooring, I decided to emulate him. I put a row of about 9 10 penny nails about

1/4" or so deep into the nicely & newly finished maple hallway floor. Mind you, I don't remember any of this. Knowing my dad he had to be a little mad at the time, but he loved to tell the story over the next 35 years.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Your father must have been a man of rare patience and temperament.

Medical science now tells us that the majority of ulcers are caused by a bacteria (Helicobacter pylori), so you don't have to feel any guilt about that.

Reply to
Hank Gillette

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps he was one of those people who can put possessions and material things in perspective: a 6-yr old's mistake was just that, and the damage was repairable.

Reply to
GregP

All of this advice was really good. I dropped the outfeed table by approx. 1/16" and took much less (~1/32") wood off each pass. This seems to help quite a bit. Thanks to all for their invaluable help!

TJ

Reply to
TJ

TJ responds:

You dropped the outfeed table to reduce the cut? I missed the start here, so maybe there IS a reason, but for 50 years now, I've raised the infeed table to reduce the cut on any jointer.

Charlie Self "One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above that which is expected." George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yeah, I saw that, too...

Unless it was way too high before, that isn't the way--at least if the object is to get straight edge for glue joint, etc. The outfeed table should be set initially at precisely the height of the knives when they're at TDC (top dead center). The knives also should be checked to ensure they are both precisely parallel to the table and uniform in height. Then, if there's a slight concavity or convexity to the jointed edge, adjust the outfeed table for this--but it shouldn't take more than a few thou, nothing approaching 1/16".

HTH...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

...about aligning rear jointer table w/ knives...

Of course, all the above assumes the two tables are parallel w/ each other in both planes as well as flat...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth