I hate it when this happens

I have found the only way to have a "marking device" anywhere in my shop:

(1) Go to Office Depot and buy case(s) of pencils.

(2) Walk through shop and lay two or more on every flat surface in shop.

(3) Stand at one end of shop and throw large groups of pencils in all directions.

(4) Go to other end of shop and repeat step (3).

(5) Repeat process about once a month.

The same process is used for tape measures.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Alien research activities?

My 'Building Construction Illustrated' went missing last week I checked every bookshelf in the house, under the bed, bathrooms, truck, truck bed, behind/under truck seats, made three trips to the shop, went through all the cabinets and shelves there, did it again, did it once more ... and finally borrowed my architect's copy.

Walked in the shop Monday morning and there it was sitting on a cabinet shelf in plain sight. If you've ever seen this book, there is NO way to miss it on a bookshelf!

Reply to
Swingman

Ehhh...I'm not convinced. My dad always used to blame me for losing his tools. These days, the second and third place I look for my missing tools are his garage, and his barn, and I usually find my tool that I'm looking for, and at least one other that I didn't know he had that's mine. There's a pattern here, and it's not "Dave losing his dad's tools".

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

my house was tilted downhill to my son's room until he moved out, when it all of a sudden it leveled out and i could find things again.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

You too?

Nova

More times than I care to think about ... or is that remember?

Reply to
Swingman

It's right with all my Phillips screwdrivers and my bullseye level.

Reply to
Silvan

Me too! Moreover, every year I buy him new tools, and every year I find more of my tools at his house, with no trace of the ones I just bought him. Tool organizers and other gadgets wind up empty, with not a tool in sight. But I still get blamed for how I used to lose all his screwdrivers when I was a kid.

(Well, I do lose all my screwdrivers as an adult. But I learned it honest!)

Reply to
Silvan

You mean it is not just me? Have that happen once or twice a year- I always find the board, later, when I've made (or bought) a new one to replace it.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Reply to
DIYGUY

Interestingly enough, it seems to be a contest between the woodworker and the inanimate objects. For example....A few months ago, I bought a case of 500 carpenter's pencils off Ebay, as I was tired of buying them one at a time every week or two at Home Depot. Well, about three days after I put the box of pencils in the shop, about half a dozen of the other, missing pencils surfaced. It's not like I cleaned house either...they just appeared, laying on tool surfaces, sawdust piles, etc...exactly as if they had seen the case of pencils, and given up the game of hide-and-seek. FWIW, there are few odors more pleasant than the one I got when opening that box the first time. The waft of combined Cedar, graphite and paint was just a great and enjoyable experience. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Just mill another piece; the missing piece will then come out of hiding.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

When you lose a lit flashlight in a dark, unfurnished room . . .

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I must own at LEAST 8 of those 4 way screwdrivers, enough for every room, vehicle, and toolbox I have. Can I ever find one when I need it?

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

My local hardware store has utility knives with their name imprinted for sale next to the checkouts. They come in

3 colors, bright green, orange, and black. I now have a complete set since I have bought one whenever I couldn't find one at home/in the toolbox/wherever. I currently know the location of 2 of these (green and black) but I have seen the orange one within the last couple of months so I know it still exists . . . somewhere.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

I've been buying tape measures for years... any size or brand, as long as they're on sale.. my theory is that some day I'll have so damn many that I'll always be able to find one when I need it..

Reply to
mac davis

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:41:14 GMT, Pat Barber calmly ranted:

I love it!

BUT, don't you often find lots of leaded tools in your ol' dust collector trash can separator when you empty it?

========================================================== CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:12:55 -0800, charlie b calmly ranted:

Hey, just lay down and play "snow angel" for awhile. You'll find it.

========================================================== CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes... but at least I can say that I found one that day. I have spent hours hunting these damn orange sticks of wood called pencils

Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

You know, Rod Serling could have made a couple of episodes out of this thread.

And remember one of the wrecker life's axioms:

"If you lose a tool, chances are 7 to 3 it will be part of a set."

And that REALLY frosts my cookies. If I lose, say, one drill from a set I can't rest until I replace it. A set of anything with a hole in it is so-o-o-o-o-o irritating. Like a big smile from Raquel Welch with one of her front teeth missing.

FoggyTown "Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

Reply to
foggytown