Hypothetical question for wreckers

If you don't understand the question just say so. Like I'm sure when someone says "power tools" you immediately think of a water-driven Archimedes screw, right? You understood wekll enough. You just wanted to play bitch, didn't you. :)

Reply to
foggytown

Probably not. I'd do it out of necessity, but not as a hobby.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If there were no cars in the world, I don't think I'd be much of a driver, either.. Mac

mac davis

Sun, Aug 13, 2006, 7:37am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (foggytown) doth stateth: If you don't understand the question just say so. Like I'm sure when someone says "power tools" you immediately think of a water-driven Archimedes screw, right?

I do not understand the question as written.

Actually, no. Roman water-driven wheels.

JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.

Reply to
J T

I don't understand either one....

But "water-driven Archimedes screw" sounds like something kinky in a hot tub... Mac

mac davis

Yes. I started as a kid with a set of hand tools selected by my granddad and bought by my mother as a birthday present. That's all I had until my teenage years when I got a jig saw. It wasn't until after college that I had enough income to start buying power tools. Now I've got most all the power tools I need and have started moving back into hand tools. I'll probably end up with just hand tools in the end. Second childhood?

D.G. Adams

Reply to
dgadams

that, or your dependents take away all the dangerous power ones.. *g*

Mac

mac davis

I think I part with some of the opinions here in two ways: not only do I think this is a good question, but I believe that thinking about the question is a good thing.

To me, it's valuable to think of "what if the power goes out"? I don't want a shop I can't use during a blackout: it's the reason I'm putting skylights and a woodstove in mine. I want to know I _can_, if needed, do everything by hand. Would I always prefer to do so? No - I'd like the option of power assist, at least for some tasks. But it shouldn't be, and isn't, required for me to enjoy my woodworking.

Dudley

foggytown wrote:

Reply to
dudley.storey

During a blackout, can think of at least one thing I'd rather do than be in the woodworking shop.

Seems over the years I've had some company, if you bother to check the birth rates 9 months after a blackout for conformation.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It sort of leads to the topic of "is your power tool work better if you learned on hand tools?"

I think in some cases mine is, especially when cutting or sanding smaller pieces...... Sort of like my theory that if you've replaced things on a car such as brakes and clutches and understand how they work, you use them better and with more respect... YMWV Mac

mac davis