How To Make Treated Lumber

I'm getting ready to cut my own lumber from trees and I want to use the lumber for an outside project. What can I do to make the lumber survive outside? Can I make my own treated lumber?

Thanks, Dale

Reply to
lumberjackdale

no

Reply to
David

Depend. Do you like working with Arsenic?

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

If you live in Manville NJ you can just lay the lumber in your backyard. The creosote in the ground will leech into the lumber.

Other than that I don't think so.

Reply to
RayV

No, you really can't make your own.

It takes lots of heat, pressure, nasty chemicals and expensive equipment.

On the other hand, there are many naturally rot-resistant woods - cedar and cypress, for example.

There are also coatings you can use to reduce the damaging effects of the sun. I like Flood's CWF-UV.

To help prevent water absortion into end grain, you can do something as simple as soaking the end of the wood in used motor oil.

These are many methods. I'm sure you'll be able to find one that works for you.

Gus

Reply to
Gus

On 11 Sep 2005 18:49:16 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" quickly quoth:

Cut only black locust, cedar, redwood, or cypress trees for outside lumber.

Or take your cut pineywood to a kiln who will pressure-treat it for you. That should be a good trick!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"RayV" wrote in news:1126528752.842537.174880 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

That is blatantly NOT TRUE! The asbestos fibers in the ground contamination soaked up all the creosote years ago!

Reply to
A Lurker

It would probably be many many times cheaper to simply buy the wood that meets you specifications.

Reply to
Leon

I should hope so as it would be peculiar to make lumber from anything else...

Farmers have been doing it for their fenceposts for centuries. Of course they planned ahead and planted rot-resistant wood like black locust or osage orange.

Reply to
fredfighter

Which exit is that located ? :)

Reply to
Chris

Exit 10 to 287 N

Follow the glow from there

Reply to
RayV

Got it.

Is that not the toll booth that hands out MSDSs after you pay the toll?

Reply to
Chris