How to cut miters on wide, long pieces?

between very good and perfect on both sides and ready for glue up

Without the Splinter guard on the saw, it is between very good and perfect on the rail side and good to very good on the waste side.

At 45deg it is between very good and perfect on the rail side.

I now usually cut to final size with it.

It has a great advantage over the table saw when breaking down sheet goods. Unless you have a very big ($$$$$) sliding table. :-)

For a comparrison between it and the new DeWalt Track saw have a look at

>Marc says "Here is my review of the DeWalt Tracksaw, FINALLY! As much as I tried to focus solely on the Tracksaw, its nearly impossible not to draw comparisons to the Festool TS line of plunge saws. Let me sum it all up by saying you need to be really picky to find distinctions that will make a real difference to the average woodworker. If you are trying to make a decision between these two saws, you will probably need to look at bigger picture things like price, system approach, warranty, and interoperability with other tools. But if you are looking for a saw that makes extremely safe and clean cuts with good dust collection, either saw will fit the bill.

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

Thanks, that's the information I'm looking for. Since I don't have the money (or space) to incorporate a panel saw, I'm always on the lookout for some decent method to cut to size, and even better, finished size.

Reply to
Upscale

A big advantage is there is no offset to work out. Just put the rail on your cut line and you get a perfect size. Of course you still need to remember which is the waste side ;-)

The TS-55 rail and Vac are not cheep but they are very good. colect 90 to 95% of the sawdust if used on an expanded polly cutting surface. And if you want a longer rail you just pay the difference when you buy the saw. The saw always comes with a 1.4M rail and often there is a deal if you get a festool vac with it.

The one problem is that you may well become an adict ;-) specialy if you like a minimum dust shop.

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

I fogot to mention that in the US there is a 30 day money back no question garentee also all festools have a 3 year guarentee

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

Either a compound miter saw, or a radial arm saw, can do it easily. If you don't want to buy or rent those, you can use a good guide and a Skilsaw (any brand hand power saw).

Or, you can rip the trim to 3", and do it with your miter saw. Rejoin the halves with a decorative bead, it'll look great.

Reply to
whit3rd

I have one of these and it works great, lets me nail the angle and it's thick enough to function as a cutting guide for a circular saw or jig saw. I use speed squares all the time, but I sure can't hit 15° cut after cut with one. And it was on sale and the wife was with me when I bought it, you can't walk away from a situation like that.

DGDevin