How many Normites were honorary Neanders last night?

Just wondering if anybody brought out the candles and flashlights and did some Neander woodworking last night?

TroyD

Reply to
TroyD

Candles and curlies in a semi-dark room AND the phones probably not working for calling the fire department if/when latter makes contact with the former. Hope you had four or five buckets of sand on hand in the event of a fire (I understand some of the water pumping stations went down).

Why is it that when we in California had rolling blackouts (and energy price gouging) it was because we're F**k UPs and it's not the Fed's problem. BUT when a hunk of the northeast goes dark and the STOCK MARKET goes out - freakin' A, call in the national guard, declare an emergency and open your wallet folks ...?

charlie b PS - Anyone catch Wag The Dog lately?

Reply to
charlieb
[snip]

Naw, you got it wrong. The electric outage was created by east coast liberals in suport of Gray Davis. That way he can point and say he dealt with the problem and the east coast hasn't. There is a vast left wing conspiricy.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

You want a totally honest answer?

Nah, you probably don't want an honest answer. ;)

Reply to
Silvan

actually, I was watching TV today, and the mayor of New York was claiming it was CANADA's fault . . .

oh well. . .

~R~

a canuck

Reply to
Robert Medal

With the price of electricity in California at rip-off prices there is not much chance of a blackout. ; Candles and curlies in a semi-dark room AND

Reply to
Jim Akins

I did during Clintons term and it looked like art imitating life. I keep it in mind when evaluating all government actions, even the guys I tend to support.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

When that many *events* occur in a 10 second time slot, it's going to take a while to sort it out. One group is saying that a *midwest* plant started it all with wild fluctuations that the rest of the grid couldn't balance or control, and to preserve themselves, the other plants automatically tripped off. We were without power for about 3 hr. that evening here in Jamestown, NY, but this was over 2 hr. AFTER the main blackout. We have our own city power plant, so it must have held it's own for a while until the grid tried sucking power from us(I think).

Who knows? Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 05:09:16 GMT, Dave Balderstone pixelated:

Keeter and his damned OWWMs, no doubt.

- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL!

Reports today are blaming it on Ohio, tho...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Apparently 3 transmission lines in Ohio went down after at least one touched a tree, last I read. That started the cascade. What they're baffled about is why the problem (line) wasn't isolated immediately.

Apparently, had some station near Philly not isolated itself from the cascade, the blackout coulda spread as far as the Rockies.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

In this morning's paper, apparently the Ohio plant is reporting imbalances beginning several hours before the cascade. It'll be a while before we know what actually triggered this "event".

Interesting that Quebec wasn't affected. I haven't seen much in the way of details, but apparently their connection to the grid is buffered using DC power in some way so they stayed safe.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I believe Quebec has their own power grid, separate from the one that affected Ontario and the North Eastern United States.

Reply to
Upscale

Can you say "Seperatist"? What about with a Frech accent? %-) Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Separate, but connected.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I never thought that it was a "f&&kup" in CA, but I don't think it is anyone else's fault at all. Rolling blackouts are a lot different than a sudden power outage. At least there you probably have some for-warning that it will happen. Still, neither situation is at all acceptable, and hopefully something will get done to improve the systems everywhere.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Séparatiste...

Reply to
Silvan

The city of Buffalo, NY wasn't affected either.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Wasn't the problem in California blamed on deregulation? The problem in the northeast was blamed on technical difficulties (so far). Of course, the way it's set up, the system could be considered F**ked Up anyway. So, take your choice.

Just to keep the conversation on topic, the six hours the power was off, I spent thumbing through my dog eared Lee Valley catalogue making modifying my wish list. At least that's what I did until it got too dark to see.

Reply to
Upscale