I'm going to _disagree_ with your dissertation, but only 'somewhat'.
The "I2R" losses in the wiring between the breaker-panel and the motor
are related to the _total_ resistance of the wiring between those two
points. Using lower-resistance wiring for part of the run _does_ decrease
the total parasitic loss.
With the start-up load being in the range of 2-3x the rated FLA, there is
likely a measurable benefit to that 35 ft of 8 ga., vs an equal length
of say 12 ga. -- *regardless* of what the rest of the wiring is (gauge
Hey, are you Stacey David in disguise?
I've been whoring myself since long before '99, too. It's just that it
became easier to do when I got a webpage up. What I'm whoring,
actually, is the Norm's Tools part of it, if you didn't know that
Thanks! It wasn't that difficult. The big pieces turned out to be standard sizes
and shapes from the metal supplier. I cut everything with a hand hacksaw,
(except for the 1/2" plate - I got some power assist for that) smoothed the cuts
with files, then had a local shop do the welding. Paint was good ol' Rustoleum.
It's well within reach of anyone who wants to save some $$$s.
The biggest challenge actually was getting all the dimensions and the design.
That's why I thought posting my drawings might be useful to others...
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.