Home made hinges and latches for small boxes

I would like to make some hinges and latches for some small wooden boxes. Since I have some leather, that seems to be a good choice for the hinges, but I'm looking for some ideas on shop-made latches. Doesn't need to look pretty, as these boxes are for protecting small electronic measuring devices that are showing up in the shop.

Reply to
Phisherman

A little pricey but looks well engineered.

Leon

I inset some magnets in the bottom half and steel pieces that lined up in the lid on a few peices. Velcro is hard to beat for utility type boxes.

Reply to
DanG

Copper sheeting. It's malleable and holds up well with that sort of light use. Sometimes you can pick up sufficient scraps from home construction sites during roof construction. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Assume (I know that's trouble, but so be it) that if you make these boxes, they will be purty.

If so, why would you put ugly hinges on a purty box?

Inquiring minds, including mine, want to know?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

At a craft show once I saw a guy that made decorative latches that had on the lid one piece as a dovetail shaped key with a straight section coming out the short end, with a pin going through it into pieces on either side. On the case there were two angled pieces the key locked into. I reckon if you didn't care what it looked like you could crank several of those out pretty quick.

Or, 3-4 round head screws and a rubber band.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

I prefer utilitarian rather than fancy hinges or latches, similar to Shaker style. Already made some wire hinges, not ugly and not fancy neither.

Reply to
Phisherman

Kevin, I like the way you think !! =0)

Lenny