See the Upgrade to my Bandsaw

Upgrades to my Jet JBS-14mw

you had to unscrew 4 knobs and take both top and bottom covers off, just to get inside to change the blade. I connected the 2 covers together and put them on hinges, installed a wheel brush, and a tension quick-release.

I still have to adjust all the guides and would like to install one of them fancy yellow springs and some new tires.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Pretty cool, Mike. That hacked in tension release, though... You'll want that really rigid, of course. Interesting setup. I love the simplicity and unconventional thinking. (Also, I didn't see the pin that goes in the split table. You didn't misplace that, did you? That's what stabilizes and aligns the floppy ends.)

Reply to
MikeWhy

Looks like you have been looking at the Laguna saws. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, I just threw that together to see if the concept would work for that saw. It does and I'll do something more "right."

Hmmm, got me thinking now. I don't see one. I juts looked and I see a hole, may tapered. So there should be a steel pin that goes in there? Does it just wedge in or what?

That table is cast iron, it's pretty stiff, but like I said, I see a hole. Strange enough, it still had most of the protective goo from the factory.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Seriously, no. But tell me why. I just googled and it appears they make Festool look like Fisher Price. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

The pin holds the 2 leafs in alignment. It has a tapered shank and a hex head to break its grip so you can remove it. It's not a big crisis. Just get one on order and put it in when you get it. Try here first:

MikeWhy

Thank you, sir. I can just barely make out the part number on the grainy, virtually unreadable manual wmh emailed me.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Laguna has the double door set up, both open at the same time. One 1/4 turn on a top and bottom side knob unlocks the top and bottom door. The left side blade guard, like yours, also attaches the top to the bottom door, like yours. I find that only using the top door latch is completely adequate for keeping both doors closed. Both doors opening at the same time is a cool safety feature, you don't close the bottom door, stand up, and conk your head on the bottom of the upper door. I was not sure I would like that feature until I realized that there is no need to lock both doors and have not yet knocked myself silly. If you dreamed this up yourself, you are thinking like the Laguna people. ;~) Now get a set of ceramic guides! If you really want to spend some money on ceramic guides take a look at the aftermarket Laguna 10 point ceramic guides, I love them.

Reply to
Leon

I just assumed they were all like that... connected together, that is. Even my junky 9" protech had connected doors. I thought about fabricating a turning latch using the same knobs, but those magnet catches were pretty cheap. They're a bit ghetto, but they work great.

Not sure I want to spend as much on guides as I did for the saw. :-) Think I'll go with graphite and spend some money on a new spring and blades.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'll definitely get one of those.

I ran a straight edge across the table and it caught at the gap. Then I stuck a steel center-punch in that hole (fit perfectly) and the straight edge slid across without a hitch.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The doors on my MiniMax are not connected together, and I've never thought much about it... I have yet to conk my head on the upper door, but I suppose there's a first time for everything. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

LOL, Strangly enough I looked at MiniMax at their home office in Austin TX about 3 years ago. The sales man was showing me the incomplete demo model and I knocked my head on the upper door. I suspect that I would never do that again.

I bought the Lagune, not because I hit my head on the door of the MiniMax. The guides were the ultimate deciding factor.

Reply to
Leon