Home Depot throwing away hardwood

This may be common knowledge for others in this group but it was news to me. I was in my local HD the other day and wandered down the aisle with the hardwoods. I noticed their cull bin had a stack of red oak and poplar cut offs stacked on the top. I looked to see if they had been marked with the spray paint on the end as they do with their cull bin items. They weren't marked. There were maybe eight to ten cut offs between a foot to two feet in length. I found an employee and asked him if they were going to go in the cull bin or back on the shelf. He said they weren't going back on the shelf but that they weren't going in the cull bin either. He said they would be thrown away but that I could buy them at the regular linear foot price if I wanted them. He said they couldn't put them in the cull bin because they are sold by the linear foot. I can understand their position- if they put these cut offs in the cull bin it might encourage people to saw off a foot or two and then ask if they can have it at the cull price instead of full price. OTOH I find it sad that this lumber is going to be thrown away. I could use it for small boxes or drawer fronts, etc. In the past at this same HD I have found a maple and a red oak cut off in the cull bin but perhaps this was a mistake or they've changed their policy???

Dale

Reply to
dalemartindesigns

In this respect, this is just bad management policy with HD. Ours in Houston do the ame thing. With the mark up they have on this stuff this should be an item with good GP. They really should not have a policy of selling less than a full stick of anything. Lowe's in Houston sells by the stick.

Reply to
Leon

Our HD here in Minnesota still puts the cutoffs in the sale bin. I check on Sundays anytime I'm in the area, as they end up cutting a lot more hardwood on Saturdays. This week I got a couple of 6" red oak boards (26-28" long) for $1.01, and a week ago I got just under a half sheet of 3/4" oak plywood for $2.01. That was an odd one-- the sheet was cut to about 46", and they were selling 3x4' precut sheets for $18.99 a couple of aisles over.

-Kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

Sounds like you might want to find out where they throw them away :-)

Reply to
GregP

Can you say dumpster-dive?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

This was discussed in the past. I guess they take a lot pf precautions to prevent that. It id also one of the favorite ways of employees to steal merchandise by tossing it for later retrieval.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

... too bad...

Reply to
GregP

In some states (like California) dumpster-diving is illegal. Reasons range from reducing employee theft to avoiding the possibility of faulty products winding up in consumer hands. One case that I remember was a number of bars of soap retrieved from a dumpster (at a soap factory) that had been thrown out because they had metal shavings embedded in them...the person taking the soap re-sold it (not knowing the soap had a problem) and many people had a very unpleasant surprise.

Reply to
George