Home Depot and power tools

"dpb" wrote

Indeed you must be. For the FIRST thing you learn about computers is to NEVER let one know you're in a hurry!

Reply to
Swingman

:)

_I'm_ highly unlikely to be in much of a hurry to begin with...I'm the one who doesn't care whether the fella' in front is talking to the clerk(ette)! (In fact, here it's a good chance I know him/her as well and can simply just join in the party...)

When I have attempted to use one of the beasties, however (almost always in the accompaniment of somebody else who does think they're in a hurry), the previous posters' litanies of problems w/ them seem to crop up virtually every time...it's the aggravation of that I can do w/o finding the other aggravation of standing in the queue of lesser evil even if there isn't somebody to chat up.... :)

I'd guess 90% of the "shopping" I do is at places where have open accounts, anyway. In general, unless I can do that I don't patronize the location on a regular basis.

Reply to
dpb

There is a lesson here. Based on your experience at HD, I'm going to check my stock of screws and place an order with McFeelys to eliminate the need to go through the same torture.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"dpb" wrote

"The Queue of Lesser Evil" ... make a good book title for Bruce Sterling. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Should I file for copyright? :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Let me get this right. You went to the BORG and nothing SCANNED???

I don't want to sound paranoid or anything, but you probably just died in a parallel universe. Go to the doc and get checked out immediately! You can not survive in this universe if you are unscannable. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Sorry, I am in that kind of mood today.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Toss your car keys down next to the bag. Always works for me.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You often are. (Then, in my best Sammy Davis Jr impression): "Don't ever change!"

Reply to
Robatoy

Dart Drugs. Rockville, Maryland. 1980. I'm standing on line at three in the am along with about 100 other customers. The single clerk is checking the sales price of Every item against the store flyer. I ask the guy behind me if it's usually this bad. He says people have been known to reach retirement age and die in a Dart Drugs line. Smart shoppers, he says, put enough food and beverage in their cart to ensure they can make it to the checkout. He notes that I might have a problem and offers a snickers. They have horrifying loss rates on food and beverages. No one ever pays for anything consumed on line.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

SWMBO out of town, so I went to the grocery store the other day. Brought my own cloth bags so I wouldn't have to take the plastic "landfill clogging, crude oil using" bags. I run races and many of them give away a promotional light cloth bag with the race goodies in them, so I've got a bunch.

For some reason the self check out system does not like me using my own bags. Attendent had to reset on just about every scan. Seems like most of the regular check out lines not too happy to see them either, not part of the " system".

We will all be there some day, better start getting ready now.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I am looking for 3M VHB Exterior tape. I have seen where folks say they got it at Home Depot. It is double-sided and the package indicates you can stick it to bricks!

We want to use it to adhere stuff to the exterior surface of a Rubbermaid Shed.

I searched the HD site and called them (they are too far away for a visit unless we have to go to town for something we know we can pickup!

Lowes is closer, but those guys (web and store) can't find their anal orifice with a map.

THought to ask if anyone has purchased any of this stuff and, if so, where and what is the product number/SKU

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Wait a minute. There were 100 people in line at 0300? Three in the _morning_?

Reply to
J. Clarke

How does the checkout system know what kind of bag you are using?

Maybe grocery stores where you are are different from the ones here but the ones here have a conveyor--you scan, put the item on the conveyor, it goes down a ways and stops in a holding area and the only time you bag is when the conveyor is full, and at that point the system doesn't care if you put in a plastic bag, a paper bag, the cart, toss it out the window, eat it, or shove it up your butt.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Don't have a clue. I normally use self check out and have never had a problem. Only thing different this time was my cloth bags.

Self check out. No conveyor here. Scan the item, Miss autovoice tells you to put it in the bag. Three racks of bags. Won't proceed until you do. I put my cloth bag up where the plastic bags are. Didn't like it.

Regular checkout, cashier uses a bag carousel down stream of the conveyor and scanner loaded up with the plastic bags. They don't care to fumble with my cloth bags, but I intend to continue, one way or the other.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

It seems that the only way to sell large hunks of iron, like automobiles for example, is to have them on the floor so one can drool over it. I believe their new policy will result in a decline in sales of these items. I don't buy items like that unless I can see and feel it. Just like I don't buy a car unless I can test drive it.

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

It wasn't 3AM when they lined up!!!

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

In Spokane, a lot of stores sell them. We've used our own at the grocery store for many years. They even take a nickel off the bill each time we use a reusable bag.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Around here they ENCOURAGE you to bring your own.

Don't put the bag on the coveyor to start. When it says put first item in bag,put the item in YOUR bag, and then place YOUR bag on the bag-hook.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

I suspect that the bag area weighs the plastic bags when a new customer begins scanning. If you toss your heavier cloth bag on the scale it thinks you are trying to add something that has not been scanned. Most all grocery stores that have self check out are equipped much like the Self Serve at HD.

Reply to
Leon

I think you need to put your bag on the bag hood before starting the new transaction or scanning. That area has a scale and weighs everything including your bag that you did not scan.

Reply to
Leon