Home Depot and power tools

Pretty good description, consider that borrowed.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I refuse to use the self serve registers. If that is all that is open I will go to the contractor's register to check out, which does not have any of the self serve kind. I have noticed others that will not go to these registers, even when asked to do so.

Paul T.

Reply to
PHT

If I worked at the returns desk of HD and the like, I'd be fired the first day for hitting the customer with crap like that. That is just plain fraud and the stores and manufacturers willfully allow it with their policies.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

OTOH, Coastal has pretty decent displays in an industrial sort of way. I drive past quite a few HD and a Woodcraft to get there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

PHT wrote in news:481bd8e7$0$13850$5ec1c3 @news.usenethost.com:

Never had a problem with them... But being a computer geek it's just another computer system to me. I feel they're faster, and they allow me to carry my single item purchase out of the store without yet another plastic bag.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Ever notice that at Lowes if you buy something that's too light to register on the scale that reports something in the bagging area the system gives you the option to skip bagging while at Home Despot you have to wait for employee intervention?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Properly installed, I LOVE those things!

However, HD's don't work that well, and lots of items in a Home Center don't lend themselves to them.

For stuff that fits on the scanner and outfeed shelf, and is properly barcoded, I think they're great. It all falls apart when some dumbass goes to the self-serve checkout with 19 sheets of drywall, (10) 16'

2x10's, or a riding mower.

An employee that guides the customers with items obviously unsuitable for self-checkout to another line and rings them out would help immensely.

Our local grocery stores have them as well. One chain's version works very well, using scales and is set up for a relatively high scanning speed. The other one is lame, trying to match an image with a scanned picture as the item slowly travels under a camera.

**
**

B A R R Y

They do, as does Tools Plus. I've never been inside the HD across from TP in Waterbury.

Coastal is also pretty good about opening a box if there's no display model.

**
**

B A R R Y

I'm with you. For the most part, I want to go into a store, get what I want, and get out. If that's groceries, tools, or whatever it is i'm looking for, I want to be done with it as quickly as possible. The first systems that were auto checkout were a bit quirky and were more frustrating that anything else. But the local grocery stores and HD seem to have that worked out now, and I'm happier to bag my own stuff anyway.

Reply to
Tanus

"Puckdropper" wrote

Ditto ... I've been known to seek them out, even with an 8' tubafour or two.

Although when buying a single item that is too light to register on the "take out" scale, or too bulky to put there like said tubafours, and the droid keeps repeating itself, I tend to get pissed if lose my balance by having to leave my foot on the scale long enough to complete the transaction.

It does have its plusses, however ... if the day has inexplicably gone too damn good up to that point, I can pick that "other" language just to get back in the proper frame of mind.

Reply to
Swingman

I'm with you.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I've not had much luck. Most time something does not register or some other problem. I tried again at the supermarket a couple weeks ago and it would not register some of my items. I found though, that if you just toss them to the bagging area, it does not matter.

I'll take a real person any day.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Same here. Seems to me they're just another way for the stores to eliminate jobs.

Our library even has a self-check option. I won't use it either.

BTW, the incidence of stolen books and magazines has gone up because they can't tell if you actually checked your books out or just stood in front of the self-checkout terminal and made appropriate motions.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Additionally, I actually enjoy talking to people. For the most part, the people behind the tills here in Saskatoon are friendly and enjoy a bit of chatter.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

If I am shopping in the nearby city (which is more of a big town than a city) and stop in to buy a box of nails, or a few other small items, at the HD there, I will use the self-serve checkout rather than wait on line while a half dozen people, each with a dozen items or more, are in front of me. Time is money. I can check out my small purchase before that line reduces by one customer.Those people that don't use the self-serves are probably computer illiterate and are afraid of them. I notice that a lot of stores have self-checkout stations, the WalMart in that city being one of them. As for friendly conversation with people in the checkout line, I live in a small town where a lot of people know each other. My pet peeve is standing in the checkout line while the clerk and customer are having a personal conversation while no checking or packing is being done.

Reply to
willshak

Well, I'm another computer geek and I get really frustrated with them. I can usually figure out how to use them but the software design is so bad that I want to re-design it on the spot.

Reply to
Robert Haar

I went to the bank and the teller informs me that I could get cash form the ATM machine at no charge out side. I looked her and just shook my head. The liberals love these kind of people.

Reply to
Leon

The camera thing sounds really Goofy. I didn't think photo matching had come far enough for use in a grocery store.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I had to make a quick run to Home Depot last evening for a small blister pack of screws. The two registers that were open each had a fairly long line so I attempted to use the self check out.

The bar code on the plastic bag wouldn't scan. I had to wait for the attendant while see assisted another customer.

The package was too light to register as being placed in the bag. More waiting.

The bill scanner wouldn't recognize the new issue $5 bill, the only bills I grabbed off my dresser before heading to the store.

Reply to
Nova

willshak wrote: ...

If you're really on a time-critical mission or working, granted. But as other respondents noted (and has been my experience as well), about as often as not the da-ed things don't work reliably enough that the time savings is minimal at best and the aggravation is certainly not worth whatever small amount of time it might save.

I won't use the things simply for such reasons and I'm certainly not computer illiterate--

Life's too much a rush already--that's what we small town folk do best--chat up the neighbor even if we did just see him at the donut shop (aka "intellectual center" at 7)...

--

Reply to
dpb