HF Catalog vs Store Pricing

Can someone tell me why a item sold by Harbor Freight can have several different prices? One in the catalog, and one in the store, and sometimes one on the web? What the hell. I know the obvious answer. But is there any other reason I'm missing? And do the stores honor the catalog pricing?

Reply to
Ben

The stores have always honored the catalog pricing for me.

Have you noticed that sometimes the same catalog will have the same item at more than one price?

The first 5 digits in the catalog number are the item number, the 4 characters after the dash vary with catalog, store, phase of the moon and are what tells them what price to charge.

Rico

Reply to
Rico

If you bring in the catalog or print out the website page with the price, the store will usually honor the lowest price you can find.

I picked up their 4 speed chiwanese bandsaw for under $200, and it normally sells for over $300. I've used the hell out of it and been very happy.

Hope this helps..

John Moorhead Lakeport, CA

Reply to
john moorhead

On the web site, you can "fabricate" the extension to the part num and sometimes come up with a better price. Either order through the web with that PN or print it out and take it to the store. It works often enough to keep me trying.

The local store frequently says that they are not obligated to sell the item at the price listed on the web site, but the mgr always sells it to me for the web price (after grumbling a little bit).

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce C.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:11:23 -0400, "Ben" pixelated:

They're called "sales", sir. They try different prices to see which bring in the crowds, cycling them every few months. If you ever see something on sale there for half price and miss the sale, wait a few months and it'll be offered again.

If you take the printouts of the website pages (with date/price/stock number) they'll honor them. If you take print catalogs in they'll honor them. They won't honor anything not in print, period, at least from my experience.

When in doubt, ask them for a product with a -4VGA suffix, their best sale price.

------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life *

i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Larry Jaques

-4VGA is not always the best price. If you play with the numbers, you will find more often than not that -3vga for larger items and sometimes -5vga for smaleer items that go on sale often, will give lower prices. It pays to take a couple of minutes to hit all the numbers between 0 and 7 (the highest discount number I have found). Many times they skip numbers in the middle.

As far as the mgr who grumbled at giving you the good price, saying they don't have to honor it, just tell him that you don't have to honor him with his business. He's there for you, not the other wy around! It's amazing how many of them need to be reminded. I start each day asking myself how I can earn the right to do business with my customers and I never have the problems of not taking care of my customers.

Digger

Reply to
Digger

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:32:03 -0500, "Digger" pixelated:

I retract that after seeing how they're -now- doing things. The VGA numbers bounce all over the place. Maybe they found out that too many folks were on to their game and mixed it up.

Ah, good idea, try all the combos online first, then hit the store.

That's an excellent way to start your day. I try to do the same.

------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life *

i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Larry Jaques

Can you do that? When I try putting in different VGA #s on line it defaults to their chosen one.

Dick

Reply to
Rico

Because that's the way they have decided to run their business.

At lease some of them do.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman