Help in Google (or other) Searching

I received a SitePoint Tech Times (techie newsletter) today and it mentioned a new beta on Google which uses auto-complete: Google Suggest Beta

For those of you who are Search Challenged, this might help. As you type in what you want to search for, it also searches its list of searches and shows that list to you. As any good searcher understands, knowing what words to use can make or break a search. If you're stymied with the first search, look for results which somewhat match your goal and pick up new adjectives to use in your next search. Refine it as you go. Enjoy!

Larry Jaques

Well worth a look, folks. Jo4hnnie likes it. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

I really don't comprehend how people can have problems searching. For example, for the millionth time someone asked about what to use on a cutting board... so I typed in

what do I use to finish a cutting board

3rd link down gave the answer... What problem do you people really have?
Reply to
larrybud2002

kant spehl kuting bored?

Merry Christmas hohoho

Reply to
Vic Baron

Question, when setting up meta links for my ebay store or web site for the Kreg Jig do I use : Kreg pocket hole jig K2000 Pro Pack PP to cover any possible combination that people might type in the search engine? Pocket hole comes up 1,810,000 times Pocket hole jig comes up 57,700 times Kreg Pocket hole jig comes up 17,600 times Kreg 2000pp comes up 12,300 times Is it better to be narrow or all inclusive? Scott Scott

Reply to
tall_corn

Dunno, it isn't always that easy. I can usually find just what I want. To such an extent that I rarely bother to bookmark anything. But I get stumped from time to time. It's all about speaking the right incantation, and sometimes what you're looking for is incanted in terms you just don't think of.

Reply to
Silvan

Thu, Dec 23, 2004, 5:53pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) says: Dunno, it isn't always that easy. I can usually find just what I want. To such an extent that I rarely bother to bookmark anything. But I get stumped from time to time. It's all about speaking the right incantation, and sometimes what you're looking for is incanted in terms you just don't think of.

Yep, finding stuff is easy. Sometimes finding what you want isn't. Once spent about 3 months, on and off, mostly on, looking for some specific types of toy plans. Couldn't find zip. Then in one of my searches I found a word used I hadn't tried before. Hell, I didn't think it even came close to relating; but put it in the search phrase, and viola, started getting info immediately. In 3 days had all the info I could use, and them some.

I was looking for marble roll toy info. The type that's like a tower, you drop marbles down, and they roll back and forth, and all. Tried every combination of words I could think of - roll, toy, marble, you name it. Then found "race", I think it was, mentioned. Whatever the word was, it probably never would have occurred to me on my own. But, stuck it in, and that was the key. Sometimes that's the really hard part, finding that one key word.

JOAT WYGIWYGAINGW: What You Get Is What You're Given And It's No Good Whining.

Reply to
J T

Apparently google ignores meta links/tags now anyway and only looks at the actual visible content of your website?? Or so I heard. I think there is something on google's search engine information pages to say something similar. Not sure about other search engines.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

70 woodworking product reviews online! WIN! A Bosch 18v Cordless Drill. Submit your entry today!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment

- Ryobi Right Angle Drill

- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer

- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw

- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

Woodcrafter

Try searching for help writing help files! Fortunately HTML Help has taken over in WinDoze. I miss the WinHelp abomination less than a kickback on my TS.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Yup. Exactly. It's really all about figuring out what other people call those things you're thinking of. :)

Reply to
Silvan

They also accept $$$$ to make your site more visible.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I recall a story about how hard this is to do in other languages & cultures. An American somewhere in the middle east couldn't find the number of a rental car agency until he asked the operator to look for "We Try Harder." ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

it was presenting me with lists of validated searches that matched ALL the words I selected. This is a time saver, when trying to find the right combination of words that might yield useful results.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob