Help identify these chisels.

Take a look at these chisels.

are they for? Why are they curved? What are the triangular thing and the pry bar looking thing for?

I'm going to list them on ebay cause I will never use them but I've never seen chisels like these before.

JB

Reply to
jeffandellie

They're not chisels, they're scrapers. Used by machinists for scraping in new bearings.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

They're files.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Files? They have no teeth. Are you kidding with me? JB

Reply to
jeffandellie

Thanks. Judging from the interest in this set on ebay it's not worth my time to list them.

had no idea what these were.

JB

Reply to
jeffandellie

wrote: Files? They have no teeth. Are you kidding with me? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ They WERE files. They are shaped like files, but have had the teeth ground off, so they can be used as scrapers, as John Martin says.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Hi other Leo

Yes that's exactly what I thought, not sure about the wavy ones, spring steel maybe ?

Have fun and take care Leo Van Der Loo

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Reply to
Leo Van Der Loo

Reply to
Leo Van Der Loo

As stated by John Martin these appear to be scrapers used by machinists for fitting in new bearings in their housings. The scrappers I have used are usually padded at the end of the handle so you do not hurt your hip when pushing. The handles are normally padded with rope or tape to ensure a good grip for day long usage. The scrapers shown may have never been used. The steel used in making scrapers is of high quality and harder than the material being scraped. Judging by the photos these scrapers may or may not be of premium steel quality for scraping steel all day long. Conversely these tools may have been designed for removing mechanical parts from their housing. For me to place a bid on these would require a visual check to verify the quality of the steel and possibly their origin. At one time makers of scrapers would stamped their logo and sometime the date and place. FWIW

Reply to
Denis Marier

For $30.81 shipping, you -might- have found out. Frackin' OUCH!

---------------------------------------------------------- --== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==--

- Schnazzy Tees online

Larry Jaques

I don't think they ever were files, but they came very close to it.

In Sheffield, lots of file makers also made scrapers. An identical file blank would be taken off the line before the teeth were cut, curved and then sharpened and polished. The steel requirements are the same and many of the shapes are similar.

In the workshop, it was traditional to make your wown scrapers from old files by annealing them, filing the old teeth off, bending to shape, then re-hardening and sharpening as a scraper.

As these appear to have no trace of file teeth at all, I think they were made as scrapers. Usually when re-cycling files into scrapers you just take the teeth off around the edges and flatten the tops a little. The remaining teeth make a good chequered grip.

The box is unusual - it's carefully made to store curved scrapers without damaging their edges, yet it doesn't seem to leave space for handles. This is the work of someone who looked after their tools more than their hands - a bare file/scraper tang stuck in the palm is a nasty injury.

Reply to
dingbat

Denis:

The bearing scrapers are most often used sideways, inside a bearing. Since you're not pushing endwise as you would be in scraping a flat surface, grabbing the tang is not a problem.

I recall seeing these sometimes with Navy markings on the box.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

The curved ones typically are called "riflers" and I'm not positive on that spelling. The others - save one - all have the shape of standard files. And no - you can't really see that they don't have any teeth and you never said that in your original post. So no - I wasn't kidding you and as someone else mentioned, they may have started out as files.

Reply to
BobS