Harry Potter Magic Wands + Scraps + Kids = FUN

The summer's almost over and none of the neighborhood kids could come up with summer woodworking projects. Then the Harry Potter movie came out. "Can we make me a magic wand?"

Magic Wands are perfect projects. A handle about 4 to 5 inches long, maybe 3/4 to one inch in diameter, the wand end - 7 to 10 inches long, tapering from maybe 5/8 inches to almost 1/4 inch. All those scraps and cut offs suddenly become magic wand material and half the tools in the shop get used.

Rip to get a square piece then turn them loose with a block plane, SurForm or spoke shave to knock off the corners then off to the mini-lathe to get the handle round. You do the turning and they do the sanding to make it nice and smooth. They block plane or spoke shave or SurForm or sand the wand taper. You set up the handle on the drill press and they drill the dowel hole. Another drill press set up for drilling the dowel hole on the wand part and they do the drilling. They do the dowel glueing. They pick the finish and Viola! - their very own magic wand!

So far a rosewood handled bubinga wand a maple handled ebony wand a padouk handled pruple heart wand

On the list mahogany handled maple wand teak handled sage orange wand

Fun projects for kids and adult sorcerer's assistant. And a worthy use of those precious scraps you just couldn't part with. The memories created will linger long after a belief in magic is lost.

Will post some pics to a.b.p.w. when I can get the ones already done back for a photo session. Am hoping to include kids' descriptions of their magic wands as well.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

But where do you get the phoenix feather? :)

Reply to
J. Clarke

You got fancy with it. My 8 y.o. HP wannabe is stuck with a pretty little piece of cherry turned down. I did all the work, handed it to him. I told him to let me know if it worked.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Just imagining all these kids running around the neighborhood now playing Pirates of the Caribbean. It's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye. Then the inquisition starts "where did you get that pointed stick?" "Mr. Charlie made it for me." You should put a warning label on them. Some people just have to take the fun out of everything. Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

Reply to
Gene T

Mail order from Ollivander's, Diagon Alley, London UK, of course.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

In Phoenix of course

Kid + imagination = magic (the wand is merely a catalyst

Pirates of the Caribbean?

Wands are delivered to parent(s) along with a suggestion "The Two Foot Rule" (the tip of the wand can't get closer than two feet of another human or the magic stops working) and that if the child misbehaves the wand goes away for a day or two.

Not in my neighborhood. The adults all keep an eye on the kids and don't hesitate to intervene if te kids are doing something they shoulldn't.

Kids sure keep things interesting

charlie b

.
Reply to
charlie b

Currently playing on one or the other of the premium cable channels. Rather amusing actually, if you go in for humorous ghost stories.

Reply to
J. Clarke