hardwood out west

I may have mentioned before that finding hardwood in Spokane is nearly impossible. Windsor Plywood carries a large number of species, but unless you want oak, alder, or pine, they only carry a few boards at a time. Last time I wound up driving to Colville. There was also a place in Walla Walla. Both are a long drive.

So ...

Next month we'll be going over to Denver from the north. On the way back we'll be going through Salt Lake on 15 and up through Missoula.

Any suggestions on a good place to stop and pick up some birch, maple, cherry, etc.? It'd be nice if it was near the interstate so I don't get lost :-). And we'll be in the minivan, so I'd be looking either for shorts or a place that would cut 8' into 5' and 3' or so.

If not, I guess I'll wait till we get back and do the mail order bit. The problemn there is that the freight can almost equal the price of the wood :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:2nt3l4F4drglU1@uni- berlin.de:

clipped..

six blocks from where I-80 meets I-15 in Salt Lake City.

Disclaimer: I have only worked with their California operations, which are really competent.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Just took a quick look. Seems like they have a lot, but pricey. They want a little over $6 a board foot plus shipping for a 25' pack of birch. Wall Lumber has a 20' pack for just over $4.50 including shipping.

But I may stop and look anyway - thanks.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

We've got a Paxton's, Rockler and Woodcraft here. If you're near downtown - two good wood places are Austin Hardwoods and Centennial Hardwood. If you're more north-ish - there's Consolidated (in Broomfield) and Diversified Hardwood in Longmont. There's a quaint rough lumber *mill* a few miles east of Boulder: TC Woods.

Email me if you want more info...

Reply to
patrick conroy

If you're coming into Denver from the north, the place I buy most of my wood is here (Fort Collins):

have quite a bit of stock, lots of variety, and will cut to length without charge. Prices are not bad and the proprietors are good people. However, I am not sure that you will be able to beat the price you can get by mail order and delivery.

Cheers, Nate

p.s. No affiliation to the above business except as a frequent customer

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Instead of driving on I-90 to Spokane after you leave Missoula, come up Highway 93 to Kalispell and visit Glacier Hardwoods (406) 756-9515. They have an excellent selection of most hardwoods plus quite a few exotics. Most of the lengths are 8' and longer, but they have a saw and would probably be more than accommodating. Prices are very reasonable--comparable to Walls without the shipping. Probably add about three hours of driving time, but the Flathead Valley is a nice place to visit.

Jeff Clausen Whitefish, MT

Reply to
Jeff Clausen

Hi Larry, I'm just commenting on your last paragraph. You are located in one of the more expenxive areas to ship to. I have a suggestion for some of you who have wood shipped. Try to get together with others and combine your orders. The more you order, the better the rates average out per bf. It really makes a big difference. I try to combine orders we have as best I can but it never fails that the day after we ship out a pack, someone will call from the same area. Thanks, Jana

Reply to
Jana