handmade stained barnwood cabinets

We just bought a house that has handmade cabinets made with old reclaimed wood (built on-site by the previous owner) with pressed tin inserts in them (kitchen & all 3 bathrooms.) They are very interesting and eye catching, but they are exactly alike in each room. Also, they are very primitive looking. What can I do (hopefully with out completely refinishing them) to the bathroom cabinets to personalize and differentiate them from each other? I was thinking about trying to clean them good, rough up the surface with sandpaper and try some different waxes or stains. Good idea, Bad idea? Any suggestions? I am having the kitchen professionally remodeled but for the sake of my budget I am on my own in the bathrooms, for now. I have no idea what I am doing, I am just wingin? it. :-)

Reply to
Kjacrap

nospambob

Consider posting a pic of them so folks can see them & possibly give you some ideas.

DoubleD

Reply to
DoubleD

You can swap out the tin panels for copper ones (or brass or pewter or whatever) or a different pattern, or both. Here's one source:

DAGS for "punched tin" (or copper or brass or pewter or whatever).

Reply to
boorite