Grinder?

I'm looking for a little help finding a decent 2 wheel grinder. I'm looking for something to use around the house in the 6" or 8" size. Most I can find locally ($120 or below) either have a very low amp motor or vibrate so badly they seem unusable. Since I may have to spend a little more and order online I thought I'd ask if there is a brand/model that anyone here might recommend. Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Check this one out:

liked mine so well I bought another. They come with soft white wheels on them (friable) so they work well for all kinds of sharpening. They used to come with one side 60 grit and one 120 grit.

The wheels are pretty good quality, but not Norton. They last well though, and properly dressed mine do a great job.

I think everyone I know in the woodturning community has this grinder as it has proven to be a good performer. Plus, at the price of good wheels by themselves, you can almost look at the grinder as a "gimme" since you get two.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Please notice that the grinder above does not include the stand. This is the grinder I bought after I got into turning. I use it for my turning chisels, but I use a 3450 rpm grinder with the grey wheels for routing stuff like grinding the lawn mower blade. I bought the 3450 Delta grinder off of Craig's list for $30.

If a gr>> I'm looking for a little help finding a decent 2 wheel grinder.

Reply to
Paul Gilbert

I have the inexpensive 6" variable speed Delta bench grinder and I find it to be good. I crowned the stones in accordance with the article in FWW and I can grind a plane iron or chisel quickly fee-hand without overheating the edge like they say in the article. IIRC, the grinder was about $60 at Lowes. There is minimal vibration.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Reply to
Artemus

If you want about the best:

Nova

with 3/4" wheel width?

Sure makes the chi-wan-ese one at Woodcraft look like a great deal..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I had one of those that worked so well, I Freecycled it!

I replaced it with a Baldor, and never looked back.

Yes, I know how to true and balance wheels. My guess is that the QC on the cheaper grinders is suspect, so a few good ones and lots of bad ones get shipped.

**
**

B A R R Y

badge on it.

It was really made by Baldor but I sure didn't pay that much for it in

1973.

Regards,

Tom

Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

Mine was ~ $250, 3-4 years ago.

I guess it's appreciated!

My Canadian-made General cabinet saw will easily go for more than I paid for it in 2002, as well!

Do Chiwanese tools do the same?

**
**

B A R R Y

Have you checked the current $CAN to $US exchange rate, you probably got a deal back then, but the dollars are near par right now, I believe the $CAN is higher, or was at one point last week.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Paul Gilbert wrote: : Please notice that the grinder above does not include the stand. : This is the grinder I bought after I got into turning. I use it for my : turning chisels, but I use a 3450 rpm grinder with the grey wheels for : routing stuff like grinding the lawn mower blade. I bought the 3450 Delta : grinder off of Craig's list for $30.

: If a grinder vibrates it is because the wheels are not round.

There's another source of vibration, which is the wheels not being totally perpendicular to the arbor, which can be partially due to the way the flange fits on the wheel.. I had an early version of the Woodcraft grinder, and got rid of most of the vibration by rotating the wheel with respect to the flanges. It took a while, a lot of trial and error, but worked well.

I now have a more recent version of the Woodcraft grinder, which had very little vibration out of the box, so this tweak wasn't needed.

-- Andy BArss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Same Baldor I have in the shop. I paid about $150 for mine, but that was 25 years ago! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Thanks for your help guys!

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

The 120 wheel that came with mine is hanging from a nail on a tool board. Replaced it with a medium buff for stropping.

Ring test the wheel(s) before installation -- set them on the end of a dowel and snap with a fingernail. Ringing sound means the wheel is good, dead sound means it's cracked and liable to disintegrate at speed.

Reply to
Father Haskell