router dust pick-up

I have more routers than I should but I'm still looking for one that has a decent dust pick-up *while doing dadoes*. (2 - 2/12 Hp range) Anyone have suggestions?

Max

Reply to
Max

I'm happy with my Dewalt 621. Pat Warner speaks highly of it also.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

'Bout what I figured. Thanks.

Max

Reply to
Max

DeWalt, Triton, Festool and a shop vac.

Reply to
Leon

Max skreiv:

Festool:

name

the investment. Especially since it doesn't address the problem of dust production during dadoing.

Max

Reply to
Max

"Upscale" wrote

Yes, I viewed the video. And I did miss that part. You're a smart ass. Thanks. But, Wow, $360. I'm afraid that will have to be my last resort. Damn nice router though.

Max

Reply to
Max

Did you view the video? He uses the 1010 model to cut a dado with very minimal dust produced?

Reply to
Upscale

It sure does. I'm glad you brought me up on that. Might have to spring for another router. It's going to be tough explaining that to SWMBO.

Max

Reply to
Max

Not sure about dados, but my Bosch 1617 kit does a decent job of collection while doing mortises when attached to my Ridgid shop vac.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

More than that if you buy the vacuum too. Even with the steep price, they're something I'd consider since I live in an apartment. Considering the noise of a router, it would have to be infrequent daytime use, but even so, that relatively dustless capability sounds very enticing.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote

Moi? Track sawdust into the house? Not on my life. Just one time and she would meet me at the back door from then on. She would say, "Don't you know how to use those shop vacs you have out there". "Go give it another try". No, the solution is to enter coughing and saying, "Boy, If I don't get one of those Festool router set-ups with the built in dust collection I may have to give up woodworking and take up golf." "Or motorcycle riding" "Or get me an old Ford pick-up to rebuild" "Or take up model railroading" . She has enough honey-dos that I've done that she wouldn't let me give up the woodworking.

Max

Reply to
Max

What bigger reason could you offer up than the fact that it's exceptionally cleaner than all that have come before it? Surely, SWMBO has commented on you tracking sawdust into the house? Sounds like a ready made excuse to me. Hell, show her the video if she's not convinced. Point out that the vacuum only has to be bought once and can be used with all the other Festool products as well as adapted to some non-Festool products.

Handle it properly and she'll insist that all the tools you buy are Festool.

Reply to
Upscale

Do you have the same 1617 I have?

I have the Bosch "edge guide" dust collector attachment, and my vac does a bang-up job with my handheld sanders and plate joiner, but I still wouldn't call the 1617's dust collection decent,now that I've seen what newer design "thru-post pickup" and Festool routers call "dust collection".

**
**

B A R R Y

Note that the OF1010 doesn't take 1/2 inch shank bits. For that you you have to go to the OF1400. Also note that in the video the router in use is the 800 buck OF2200, which is a new model with dust collection that appears to be arranged differently from the 1010 and

1400.
Reply to
J. Clarke