Good Book for Beginners Wanted

I live in an area of the UK where unless you are unemployed it's impossible to join a college course in woodwork. So I thought if I can't get on a course, I'll try and learn it from a book. So, to my point, does anyone have a good book that outlines the basics of woodworking, from tool selection and use through jointing and finishing? I have tried my local bookshop but they are very limited in selection and the magazines assume prior knowledge or at least a certain level of competency in the subject.

Bear in mind that I have never studied woodworking so this will be a first for me.

Kevin.

Reply to
kevin.j.holmes

You're not going to find a single book to give you all the information you'd need. Most professional woodworkers got into the trade by building stuff for themselves and then branching out. I'd suggest you start off similarly, take a few hand tools and build something small for yourself. Find stuff you want to build and look up information on how to build those specific items. After you gain a measure of skill, you'll be much more knowledgeable in buying better quality tools and have a better idea of what kinds of tools you do need.

If there's no affordable woodworking courses in your area, then find a woodworking club or even get a few of your buddies together who do woodworking. You'll learn lots that way and find out what kinds of tools those people have and use. That would be my best suggestion.

Reply to
Upscale

What upscale said.

If I remember correctly, you have the New Yankee Workshop on in the UK. You should definitly start watching that as well as any other shows you may have. Quite a lot of us over here got started by watching that show. After a dozen episodes or so, I bet you'll be able to make some small stuff.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I don't know if it's a beginner book or now, but Tage Frid's first book on is to the point and he shows more than one way to make different joints, using handtools and powertools. I think they are publishing 2 or 3 volumes in 1 book now, but you should still be able to find book 1 by itself through the usual used booksellers; Amazon, Powells, etc.

After checking amazon.co.uk, they do have 5 from £12.50. Search for "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking: Joinery - Tools and Techniques Bk. 1"

Cheers! Dukester

Reply to
Dukes909

Setting Up Shop by Aimee Fraser

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking is about the best _first_ book I can recommend.

Don't let the black and white photos of the funny looking old guy turn you off. There's LOTS of great info in it and zero hype.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Take a look at this on Amazon:

Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship

Read the reviews and look at the Table of Contents. Excellent book!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Library.

-------------------- Steve Jensen Abbotsford B.C. snipped-for-privacy@canada.mortise.com chopping out the mortise. BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps. Surfing along at 19200 bps since 95. WW'ing since 1985 LV Cust #4114

Nothing catchy to say, well maybe..... WAKE UP - There are no GODs you fools!

Reply to
Scorp

Great info chaps and thanks for the pointers to the books. Not quite sure what Steve is trying to say with his post. Anyway thanks again and I'm looking forward to cutting my first length!

Kevin.

Reply to
Kevin

Here are some books I've learned a lot from:

Cliffe, Roger W. Table Saw Techniques. Guidice, Anthony. The Seven Essentials of Woodworking. Feirer, John L. Cabinetmaking and Millwork. Spielman, Patrick. The New Router Handbook. Schiff, David and Burton, Kenneth S. The Woodworker's Guide to Making and Using Jigs, Fixtures and Setups

These are very high quality books. No single book has it all. The books by Guidice and Feirer are the most basic and general in this list. Keep looking until you find books that are just right for your level. They're out there.

Reply to
Billy Smith