Glue wood to glass?

I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece of cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will hang from the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5" section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario of 1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

Reply to
brian

The glass guy that Swingman and I use glues in the glass panels to our wood door frames using a clear silicone like caulk adhesive.

See what you local glass dealer suggests.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, absolutely. Especially considering the difference in expansion rates.

Goop, in any of the many flavors, is absolutely _the best stuff_ for many jobs like this.

It holds tenaciously. It says flexible forever. and it's relatively inexpensive.

If you try it and don't like it, I'll cheerfully refund the price of this recommendation!

:)

But seriously, good stuff, Maynard.

Reply to
Richard

3M-5200.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece of cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will hang from the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5" section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario of

1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

Go here:

Tom

Reply to
tdacon

Simply use a clear, silicone adhesive/sealant in a tube, available at any hardware or Borg in the country.

Reply to
Swingman

That would work fine, Lew, but expensive.

Reply to
Richard

I need to glue a 1.5" diameter section of glass (hourglass) to a piece of cherry (slightly recessed). The small hour glass (6" long) will hang from the wood section.

I'm thinking epoxy but worry about any wood movement. Granted a 1.5" section of cherry will only expand/contract by a worst case scenario of

1/16".

Would a more flexible glue be better? Which one?

I had a glass company put frosted glass in our oak kitchen cabinets 18 years ago. Still OK. They used clear pure silicone as you can buy at a hardware store. WW

Reply to
WW

There are also flexible epoxies too. I don't use silicone much.. but there are different types.

There are some good glue choices. More flexible the better. You also could use some old glazier compound... it hardens, but is still flexible enough to move.

Reply to
woodchucker

Yep that's a good choice... forgot about goop, or liquid nails (same in the small tube), not the same in the caulk gun.

Reply to
woodchucker

Reply to
tommyboy

Silicone adhesive/sealant seems to have done the trick nicely.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

-BG

Reply to
brian

Goop is incredible, I put a piece of steel thru an almost new rear tractor tire. Took it to the tire store and they put a big 6" patch on the inside, but I still had an almost 1" slit through the tire. I cut a patch out of an old tube and put shoe goop on the tire put the patch on that and then coated everything with shoe goop. Over 2 years and that patch is still there.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M