What is it? Set 505

I need some help with the second item this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

#2945 -- Sharpening stones for sharpening carving gouges. One of them is even labeled "fine".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

2945 Gouge hones. Lloyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2944 is a match safe meant to carry wooden matches. If you look close you can see the serrated striking surface at the bottom.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

2943 Concealed hooks for hanging things--bracelets? The helmet opens to put rings in. 2944 A match box. Looks like a striker area on the bottom.
Reply to
G. Ross

2941 Horse brass with initials of the smithy. 2942 Possibly the cistern of a mercury barometer, if the unseen end is open. (wild guess). 2944 Vesta holder
Reply to
Nick

2943 Another wild guess. Something to hold fire accoutrements.

Now get back to work boy! Nick.

Reply to
Nick

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA2165530D30F8lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

Just to be clear, sometimes they're called "gouge slips".

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2945 - Conical slips for sharpening curved blades, as on scythes, pruners, etc.
Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes, I was going to call them cone gouge slip stones.

Reply to
Rob H.

Match safe is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

Here is the owner's description of the brass cylinder:

"My concern is that it is an old IED or anti personnel mine. Solid brass. 'Plunger' moves freely (spins) however I'm not going to depress it to find out if it does anything. Threaded endcap on one end. Shaking it reveals something inside that sounds an awful lot like gun powder."

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Carbide lamp vessel? Pump one shot of water in with a push of the plunger? As opposed to drip, it would require more attention, but you could more completely control it.

The "X" marks look more like certification marks than an explanation that it might explode!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA216B8795FB12lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

Besides, brass would be a poor choice for either a mercury vessel OR an explosive ordnance.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2941 Looks like a ferriers mark, probably used on the horses breast plate in show.

everything else is guessed.

2946, a water company or gas companies tool. Used for opening the lid to a meter keys to shutoff the same.
Reply to
woodchucker

I need some help with the second item this week:

Rob

2943 A measuring spoons holder? WW
Reply to
WW

2943

The helmet seems to hinge, and it looks to me like some sort of receptacle is missing from the back. As a (really) wild guess, some sort of lemon squeezer?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

2943: Toilet-paper dispenser for Buckingham Palace. At one time, the palace had real knights for toilet attendants. Each of the 78 toilets required 4 knights each working 42 hours a week, for a total of 312.
Reply to
J Burns

#2942 -- Maybe it's the main part of a fire extinguisher?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Read the first comment here (suggests "X" indicates experimental):

Bill