FS: Railroad hand grinder

Before I put it on ebay, I thought I would mention it here to those who might better appreciate a weird quality appliance.

I bought a couple of hand grinders from ebay - a big industrial strength monster and a typical smaller lightweight. I bought them for use as slow speed grinders, not collector's items. I've decided to keep the smaller grinder for my purposes and sell the monster. Here's some attributes.

Keystone railroad hand grinder. Weighs about 25 pounds.

16:1 gear ratio One inch ginding wheel arbor (!!!!!!!) with 5/8" threaded shaft - will accept standard grinding wheels. Will accept up to 8" x 1 1/2" grinding wheel. It comes with a 7 1/2" wheel that has been used and dressed down to about 7 1/4". Wheel is in very good shape. The iron casting was cracked and I repaired it with JB-weld epoxy. Its held up fine in use.

This is not a toy. The gears in it are robust and heavy machined castings. You can get a wheel turning and keep it turning with very little effort. The beauty of a hand grinder is that you don't burn your tools with them. Couple it with a quality tool rest like Veritas and you can make square consistent hollow ground edges all day long.

I paid $22 on ebay. I'll let it go for $15. You pay shipping.

I'll post pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking on request.

Bob Davis Houston, Texas

Reply to
Bob

-- Mark