Foundation VI

Folks -

heheh...Thanks for the chuckle, Ron... Well, all is dug, more damn dirt to move than I've seen in a while... I reset the batter boards and need to cut about an additional 3" into the NW side for the footings. I have the other

3 sides all cleared out of loose dirt and am working next to the garage footings.

I am kinda embarrassed to admit it, but after shoveling all of the loose dirt out of the trenches, I had a better idea.... I broke out the shop vac (6.25 Sears HP) and vacuumed the bottom of the trenches so I could get a more accurate take on just how deep they were/far out I am... Of course, Rose heard the sound and came around the corner to see what the *hell* was going on.... She was laughing so hard she nearly pissed herself... If a tool does the job, what's the problem??? Anyway, that worked GREAT! Now I can see what the hell is going on.

I am trying NOT to build a Saturn V launching pad.... I had a guy come by for his take on it and he just said to fill it all up with concrete and not worry about forming the footings. Of course that would end up being nearly

30 yards of concrete, way more than double my original estimate... and at $100+ a yard.... jeez!

So, I am trying to figure out how to set the forms up for the footings.... I only NEED footings that are 12" x12" for code.... 12x15 is code for two story.... I measured out and planned for 12 x 16.... but the backhoe guy cut some portions of the trenches 24" wide and up to 30" below grade (I only needed 18-20") On top of the footings are an 18" tall 6" wide perimeter stem wall that supports the 4" slab. I know that filling back in if it's too deep is a no-no.... So, it looks like I am going to be buying more rock/sand than I had hoped...

The good part is we are making good use of the soil that came out of the trenches. we borrowed my FIL's cement mixer and are mixing the soil that came out of the trenches with sand, sawdust and lighter soil and a couple of BIG ROCKS to break up all of the clods... Presto! Amended soil for low spots, raised beds and planter boxes. The mixer works like a charm and spits out most of the larger rocks and debris before the mixed soil comes out.... I've filled up a 3x2x9' planter box and a bunch of wine half-barrels and have plenty of soil left.

We are going away on a vacation in the next few days and will start working on forms and rebar when we get back. I'll be posting more pics, too...

Thanks for your curiosity! I am *SO* looking forward to my first 1) beer 2) ceegar and 3) crosscut in the new building...

John

PS: I think I figured out where the Backhoe operator came from.... he was an extra in "Deliverance", until they decided he was too nuts.

Reply to
John Moorhead

Nothing funny about it. The use of a vacuum for digging is becoming common for commercial operations. Of course their "vac-truck" is a little bigger that a Sears shopvac. Being responsible for protecting some transcontinental fiber optic cables when a contractor shows up to do some excavation around the cable with a vac and an air lance I'm quite happy.

Nova

At my job, we're constantly drilling around underground gasoline storage tanks, gasoline product delivery piping, fiber optic lines, electrical and high-pressure gas lines, sewers, &tc. We use vacuum rigs exclusively to dig through the top 8 feet to make sure we don't drill through any buried utilities. Uusually, the contractors also use high-pressure compressed air or water jets in addition to the vacuum. Our contractors can get through pretty much anything (even the "Bay Mud"), although it can be tedious at times.

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

For what it's worth, I've had good luck using a gas-powered leaf blower to blow the loose gravel out of driveway potholes, before filling with patching compound. Not strictly relevant to your situation, but worth mentioning as another thing to keep in mind.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:13:19 GMT, "John Moorhead" calmly ranted:

Check with the inspector and be sure to let him know about the backhoe guy's mistakes. It sounds as if I could have done better, and I've never even been -on- a backhoe.

Have you figured out how you're going to bill the backhoe operator for the grief he has caused you, or will he be part of the backfill for another dig?

Hey, that sounds like a good idea, but shoveling all that dirt into the mixer first sounds a lot like work.

Do #3 first, then celebrate with the stinky stuff later. You don't want the first crosscut to include any fingers.

- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. ---

Website Application Programming for YOU!

Reply to
Larry Jaques