Blocking up basement window

I have a question that I'm sure someone in this group will have a good answer for. I'm building steps that will involve tamping down dirt/processed stone over an existing basement window (2.5' by 1'). It was suggested that I morter some bricks into the opening. That's certainly a good idea and I may end up doing it, but I was wondering if anyone can think of an alternative solution.

Here's a thought I had and any thoughts on it would be welcomed. How about if I put a bead of that foam insulation around the window and then push a sheet of metal over the window opening. I would then fill in and tamp down the dirt. It seems to me that this would put a good hermetic seal over the window. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Bill White

Reply to
Bill

Until the metal rust through.

I might add that local codes may not allow you to do what you are planning, at least without adding a new window. Many codes have minimums for windows and ventilation.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

use bricks with waterproof sealer on the outside. It's the code-compliant way to do it. Don't mess with age-old engineering techniques.

-B

dirt/processed

Sheet metal over foam! If you tamp it down well, either immediately or some time later it will buckle into the window breaking the glass. Or were you going to use some 1/4" thick steel plate -- maybe that will hold, providing the window frame doesn't break loose from the basement wall.

dirt/processed

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Thanks everyone!

This is a great group. I got good information from you all. I will check with the town hall about the code- I had never given that a thought because I explained to them exactly what I wanted to do and they didn't ask me if I were going to cover a window. But, it won't hurt to call them back just to make sure. Unlike a deck, this project doesn't require a building permit from my town, but building permit or not, I'll still need to conform to code.

Also, if brick and morter is the time tested method, that's the way I'll go.

Thanks! Bill

dirt/processed

Reply to
Bill

The hell with the code. Do it in a way that's the most solid, which sounds like bricks to me. You don't need the law to tell you what's right.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Some weak minded citizens depend on the government to do everything for them - including wipe their ass. These people are dangerous and need eliminating.

Pj

Reply to
PJx