Hot Water heater keeps going out

Doesnt it have a warranty that would take care of it

Reply to
m Ransley

It may be a bad pilot light thermocouple.

Reply to
Greg

I would guess it would be covered by the warrantee.

As for what it is I suggest:

Weak Thermocouple Bad pilot adjustment(s) Misplaced cover Odd drafts

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

the receipt with the phone number of the place you bought it.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

My hot water heater keeps going out on a daily basis.Its less than a year old. I can relight the pilot and it lasts 5 or 6 hours.What should I look for? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
dave brink

First off I gotta ask it. Why are you heating hot water? Just jokin.

Could be the thermocouple is on the fritz. If the heater is still under warranty, call and havit replaced. If it isn't, it's not a hard job to do and thermocouples are fairly inexpensive.

Reply to
Ron

In my last house I hooked up a hydronic heating system to my water heater and used that to supply hot water to zone the rooms that I had in the basement. It worked great and I'm thinking of adding a similar system to this house but I might go with a tankless heater in the future. My question is does the tankless heater stop heating the water when this loop is eventually filled? Does it matter that it will be reheating water? I guess I want to know if this could be done safely?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Before you call for service, make sure you have gas. At my last house the gauge failed on the propane tank. The hot water heater was shutting down a couple of times a day. It would always relight. The serviceman replaced the gas valve, an expensive repair. A couple of days later it was obvious the tank was empty. The serviceman had only checked the gauge, not the pressure. Duh...

Bob

Reply to
jdh

I would call a service man or where you bought it. I had a problem like that about 5 years ago. The burner holes were clogged and even though the pilot light was off. There was a small amount of gas escaping and building up. The repair man said he was glad I called. He said that maybe the next time the pilot kicked on my house would be ashes.

He had to replace the burner. the water heater was only 2 years old. My propane is piped in and on a meter so no tanks outside.

Be safe.

Pat.

Reply to
Pat

Just pay some kid in your neighborhood a few bucks each week to come and light it every day for you, You'll have hot water, and the kid will be able to afford more cocaine.

Reply to
heated

Hi, is the thermo-couple fitting is tightly screwed in? Is the pilot flame size is proper(mostly adjustable)? Or maybe thermo-couple is bad. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

According to Rich :

Tankless heaters have a T-stat on the outlet, otherwise, the output temperatures would vary wildly relative to delivery flow rate and supply temperature.

Part of the trick is ensuring that the loop _includes_ the T-stat of the tankless.

So, conceptually, it'd work. And many hydronic systems work precisely this way.

However, before blindly picking any old tankless, I'd check either with the instruction manuals or a professional whether _that_ specific unit is appropriate for hydronic heat. Having a professional size/design (or give you specific tips about) the system is a good idea in any event.

And I'd most certainly _not_ choose an electric unit.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Is the gas supply OK, ie if either the water heater or the furnace go on, do they get enough gas? I've seen failing underground gas pipes that are leaking wind up with water in them that blocks the flow of gas.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Why wouldn't you use an electric?

Reply to