Flush Door Question

I am working on a plan for a project using flush doors as hanging panels. The doors will be mounted on rails on a steel frame. I already have the frame (gift from a friend) and therefore am locked into the length of the opening.

My question is: How wide are the top and bottom rails in a stock luan door?

My plan is to cut the doors to length and slot the top and bottom rail so that the doors can be slid up onto the top of the frame and then dropped down onto the bottom rail. Before I start cutting the doors off, I would like to know how much meat I have to work with, or will I have to be prepared to make and insert new filler material.

Thanks Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

It varies, but I would not plan on more than 1 1/4". Beware, that many doors will contain metal fasteners holding the bottom that you can not see. Don't ask me how I know.

If you need to cut more, cut the bottom of the insert all of the way off, select a new piece of stock for a new insert, and mill it to slightly undersize. You can take a chisel to the cardboard, and separate the door skins from the cardboard, just pushing it in, out of the way. Use yellow glue, and use boards to spread clamping loads, put it back together.

Reply to
Morgans

I second this. I have seen as little as an inch or so at the top and bottom of the door. You might try tapping on it to get a rough idea of how far you can cut.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

"Morgans" wrote

I just remembered another warning. DO NOT use your jointer to take the skin off the insert. You might find some of those metal fasteners.

Reply to
Morgans

Bill, In my experience, there is only about 1.25" to 1.50" at the top and bottom of a luan door. But it is very easy to cut and insert a plug. Hope this helps.

Bruce

Reply to
bstrawse

I know how you know. DAMHIK Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

I would like to thank those who responded to my query. I will be careful with the possibility of metal fasteners hidden in the framework of the door.

Again, Thanks. Bill Waller New Eagle, PA