Pressure used to stabilize wood ???

I'm interested in the stabilizing where they use a liquid acrylic or other resin under pressure to impregnate wood, I saw some very dense hardwood that had been treated with stain and resin, I'm interested in the process used, pressure or vacuum, resin, color, all the good stuff. The wood I saw was small pieces for use as knife handles and was wandering whether they treat larger pieces of wood for other projects.

Here is a link to the one of many sites offering this product and service.

I have no connection to this site just posting to show the process I'm talking about, any information would be great, Thanks, Ben

Reply to
Mac

Doesn't work. You're better off using a _vacuum_ to empty the pores of the wood, then let the resin flow in by capillary action.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 16:54:08 +0100, Andy Dingley Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

or one might just soak it in the resin...take a piece of oak and put just one end (end grain) in some water, , , in no time, you have a completely soaked board

just a thought

Traves W. Coppock