Question about caulk cartridges

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an opened cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Thanks!

Loren

Reply to
LPV

I've heard about inserting a "common nail" head first into the tip of the cartridge leaving the sharp end of the nail exposed sufficiently so that you can pull it out when you want to use the caulk again. I've never tried it, but it seems like it would work.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Use a short piece of rubber hose. very snuge fit over end of chaulking tip. Plug one end of hose with Chauking, preferably silicone, slip other end of hose over chaulking cartridge tip. Will not work for ever, but for a while.

jerry

Reply to
Whitaker

I have had luck with folding duct tape over the opening on caulk and Liquid Nails. ____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

Over night to a few days, duct tape on the tip end. A little longer I use a 4" screw - if it's drying caulk the screw will help pull out some dry stuff. Common nails or pieces of wire coat hangers, tend to rust.

Eventually, it dry's and hardens - trash.

Oren

I just usually use some plastic wrap and keep a large nail handy if that fails

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Insert a fat nail, long enough to reach all the way into the supply tube. As Mark said, leave enough nail sticking out so you can grab it easily. Then, cover with a few layers of plastic wrap and a couple of rubber bands. Store with the spout up.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I use wire caps. I use the ones sized for 3 conductors. It screws right onto the top of the tube and provides a tight air tight seal. When you need it again, just unscrew the cap.

Reply to
jerryrigged

Thanks, everybody, for your great suggestions about how to seal an open cartridge.

After reading many of them, I had the all-to-familiar "why didn't I think of that" reaction.

Thanks again!

Loren

Reply to
LPV

Exactly, but don't forget to cover the large end with plastic wrap and a couple of rubber bands also. Depending on storage it will remain ok for a couple of years. I have used one tube off and on for over 3 years (a little here a little there and a little touch up paint).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

The nail or deck screw allows you to pull out the hardening plug of caulk. Just grab it with your vise, and pull like crazy on the cartridge.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Thanks!

Loren

Reply to
BobK207

Insert a wet pipe stem cleaner. Works every time.

Reply to
Craven Morehead