Removing Silicone Caulk

How does one remove old silicone caulk? I have a long line of it around my front windows - I presume the old owner once had an awning and used the caulk along the edge between the awning and siding. Scraping seems futile. Heat gun didn't help. Any ideas?

Reply to
Gryhound

I've seen a commercial product for removing it -- I think it was called "Silicone-Be-Gone." I've never tried it though.

-- "For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."

-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada

Reply to
James Owens

Silicone caulk is a b***h to remove. I don't know of any chemicals that can remove it without damaging the surface that it is on (except maybe tile). What kind of siding is it on? You might try a razor blade scraper, the kind used to remove registration or inspection stickers from car windshields, or paint from glass. That should get rid of most of it. You can then try rubbing hard with a rough cloth to remove the thin film that is left.

Reply to
willshak

I just went to the GE Sealants & Adhesives site. GE makes silicone caulks.

on 'Answer Center' in the grey nav bar at top. Then click on ''Consumer FAQs' in the drop down. A popup window will open. In the popup window, click on 'Troubleshooting Questions' on the right. Scroll down to the last question "How do I remove silicone products?" They list various manual ways of removing it, but there is this statement:

NOTE: There is nothing that will dissolve silicone. If reapplying silicone to the area, remove the old sealant. Then clean the area with a disinfectant if mold or mildew is present, apply rubbing alcohol. Let dry before re-applying silicone.

Reply to
willshak

Futility is the order of the day. Use a single edge razor blade. Or just live with it.

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

How does one remove old silicone caulk? >>

You may be able to take advantage of silicones sensitivity to many active solvents, especially the methylene chloride in common paint thinners. The silicone acts like a sponge for the solvents and swells and softens enough to make removal easier. Thius one of the reasons that it is a poor gasket material in things like carburetors Ulitmately, mechanical removal is necessary. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst