Old Phone Jack Removal

I'm trying to strip the trim out of a room, but I've run into a small problem. One of the pieces has an old phone jack attached to it, and I can't figure out how to pop it off without breaking it.

It's about three inches diameter, one inch deep; it's got a top cover that rotates about a quarter-turn to expose the actual jack itself. (The cover is spring-loaded to stay shut when there isn't a wire holding it open.) Looking behind it, it looks as if the entire unit is screwed onto the baseboard trim, though I'm not 100% positive. To get to the screws, I'd need to remove the cover somehow, though twisting (either direction) doesn't seem to work. I'm also not sure that this is the correct approach, since the cover has a label on it screaming "NEVER REMOVE THIS COVER!".

Anyone familiar with this sort of phone jack, and how to get it off the wall without damaging the wires? (I don't care about the wall, or the trim, since I'm replacing those.)

Thanks,

-D.

Reply to
David Gale

If there is not a screw in the center of the box (which one would remove to get the cover off), then it is just clipped into place. Get a screwdriver inbetween the cover and the base and twist. There should be a small slot to make this easier. It will pop off and will expose the attachment screws.

Reply to
Robert Allison