Attach baseboard to concrete block?

I want to trim out about 80' block wall with baseboard at the top where it meets a drywall ceiling. What's the best/easy way to do it without cracking/splitting out the block? TIA

Reply to
TomC

I'm leaning toward adhesive with a couple of cut nails in the mortar to anchor it while the adhesive drys. I wonder if roofing cement or a flooring cement would work better; e.g. hold the baseboard without it slipping down the wall?

Reply to
TomC

I'm leaning toward adhesive with a couple of cut nails in the mortar to anchor it while the adhesive drys. I wonder if roofing cement or a flooring cement would work better; e.g. hold the baseboard without it slipping down the wall?

Reply to
TomC

If duct tape is out of the question, think combination Liquid Nails and contact cement.

I just tried a can of "3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive." That stuff will glue an ice-cube to an after-taco belch.

Reply to
HeyBub

This looks good. I'll have to try it. Thanks!

Reply to
TomC

Exactly!

The space is a basement garage. The area above is living space. My intent is to cover the gap with something that would act as a fire stop. Had an electrician not used the space to run some electrical wiring, I could have just nailed into the sill plate. Hence the need to fasten to the block.

Reply to
TomC

mdf is heavier than wood.

they make foam moulding which would be very light and held with adhesive easily.

Reply to
charlie

A few 1x3 springboards would do the trick. Just cut the 1x3s an inch long and wedge them into place under the molding at suitable intervals. That'll hold it while the adhesive sets.

RicodJour