Florida bookcase tragedy

I agree with you.

This is a quote from the Chicago Tribune.... "A spokesman for the Pasco County Sheriff's Office said Mariesa Weber's death was not suspicious."

I would be interested to know how they came to that conclusion.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

BBC _not_ known for BS? Yeah, right. Neither is the NYT.

Nonetheless, having been on more than enough DRTLW calls, humans smell just like dead rats, only larger, therefore longer. If no one was home during the brief time she might have been able to yell before the presumably full and therefore heavy bookcase and the weight of her internal organs suffocated her, then it's certainly not suspicious. Lividity would let them know if the body had remained in any other position very long, even if there were no other injuries besides the small hemorrhages known in cases of suffocation.

Police seldom look at the home of a missing adult, even if the occupants grant them entrance. Not to mention that adults are considered to have the right to go wherever they want and stay as long as they care to.

Reply to
George

About a year ago, in a small town near me, a man who lived alone was reported missing by his family. The cops searched for him for two weeks until a family member noticed a strange smell in his bedroom. He was lying in his own bed "under a pile of clothes".

DonkeyHody "If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." - Abraham Maslow

Reply to
DonkeyHody

That wasn't my point. While the details of the case may or not be suspicious, the fact that so many news services have picked up the story certainly clears it of the BS / Troll claim.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Sun, Nov 26, 2006, 7:38pm (EST-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (John) doth now burble: O.K. GOAT, how about you give us the full story on the O.J. thing. You're sooo smart, it should be easy for you.

Yeah, I can tell you. No prob. He had a trial. He was found not guilty. That's all you need to know.

JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Reply to
J T

"In for a dime, in for a dollar ..." Tell the whole story.

He had a second trial under civil law. He was found guilty and ordered to pay a huge fine. He has not, to this day, paid a cent.

criminal trial required "beyond the shadow of doubt" civil trial required "preponderance of evidence"

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Just as an engineering exercise, it might be interesting to figure out how to design a bookcase that prevented this risk while not standing a ludicrous distance from the wall or presenting a tipping hazard.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Attach it to the wall with screws driven behind the shelving or French cleats?

It sounds like it must already have been several inches from the wall because 1) the object she was fishing out fell behind it and 2) when she fell behind it, it did not tip.

How is it that an entire human being could get wedged back there and NOT tip it? The only possibility that comes to mind is that the bookshelf was fairly deep.

I still think that this one deserves close scrutiny by the coroner.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Mon, Nov 27, 2006, 3:18pm snipped-for-privacy@online.com (Bill=A0in=A0Detroit) doth sayeth: I still think that this one deserves close scrutiny by the coroner.

I find it hard to imagine that any size bookcase 6' tall couldn't be pretty easily tipped.

This "adjusting the TV plug" sticks in my mind. If the electrical plug is what's meant I've never seen any plug higher off the floor then a foot or so, at least not in a bedroom or other living space anyway.

I agree.

JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Reply to
J T

Not only that, but he has pointedly said he will *NEVER* pay and has purposely hidden all of his assets in order to avoid paying anything. This whole book deal was specifically brokered so that he's never actually receive any money in his own name, it would go to someone else and be safe from confiscation under the law.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Family members scoured her room for clues but found nothing,

Apparently, they suck at scouring.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

more complete report will help answer some questions and lay suspicions to rest.

RicodJour

same article as published in the St. Petersburg Times. I had already read it. The questions I raised in my post above, which were based on my reading of the article, remain unresolved.

Reply to
LRod

Nope ... just arouses more.

A freestanding 72" book case is unlikely to have been more than about

60" wide and far more likely to have been about 48" wide. (Golden Mean would call for it to be ~44.5") And yes, that IS an assumption. And it also makes it hard to conceive of a way that the entire body (5' 3") could have been hidden from view. Or a reason why she would have gone over the top of it to deal with an electrical plug (her Dad says he found her inverted ... not horizontal). Or, having been able to tip it out enough to fall in behind it she was not able to tip it out enough to free herself. Or how, if she didn't have to tip it outward to fall behind it, it still managed to pin her immobile.

The family was just getting ready to sit down to dinner. No one in the house could hear her? Dad, Mom, Sister? Nobody heard? If she was trying to adjust the plug for the tv in her room, apparently the tv wasn't working. So it didn't cover her cries. According to her Mom she was speaking lucidly and audibly immediately before entering the bedroom.

Age 38, no children, scrawny*, punker tattoo on her ankle, living with her parents, working in a minor job.

There is a LOT between the lines here.

Yeah ... I suppose it's possible that this was some sort of freak accident. I suppose it's possible that I'll find a winning Powerball ticket on my front porch tomorrow.

Bill

  • BMI of well under 18
    ** name of a guy who either committed suicide or botched a one-man orgy and who died in 1997
Bill in Detroit

How do you reach the plug behind it?

She wasn't "fishing out an object", she was plugging something in or unplugging something.

The main point is that it was far enough from the wall to accommodate an electrical plug. This would be one of the design criteria for the exercise, that there be some provision for dealing with electrical outlets behind the bookcase.

Reply to
J. Clarke

More assumptions it seems.

Everything you wrote is an assumption. Google the Darwin awards - strange things kill people all of the time. People win the lottery all of the time Exactly how big is a 5'3" 100 pound woman supposed to be to prevent being called scrawny by an armchair quarterback? If she were married, would she not be scrawny, not have the tattoo or not be dead? There was a plug strip. That's like an extension cord. Usually those are used in areas where you need more outlets and/or in a more convenient location. The more convenient location is not always the most convenient location. Maybe the bookcase was on the diagonal in a corner. That's a possibility, not an assumption. You neglected to assume what was on the bookcase besides the TV, how much the stuff weighed and the distribution of that weight. From there you can make calculated assumptions (you know, more assumptions) about the force required to overturn the bookcase in your assumed location. Show all work. There apparently were sections of the article dealing with inverted suffocation that you didn't read. Perhaps you should read them.

Other than that, good post.

RicodJour

Remove the _Life of Thomas Edison_ and reveal the direct path to the plug?

I've got one where the plug is behind Clay Blair's excellent work on US submarines in WWII, _Silent Victory_.

Doesn't take a lot of forethought if you're building the case yourself, sort of like building in the path for the cold air return underneath the grille you attached in the kick.

Reply to
George

How did the clothes get on top of him?

Reply to
Locutus

Tue, Nov 28, 2006, 4:34pm locutus snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Locutus) asked: How did the clothes get on top of him?

I wondered about that too. Also wondered how the girl would have gotten on top of the bureau? Step up on a chair? If so the chair should've still been there.

JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Reply to
J T

Under a pile of clothes is easy, try making your bed, then dump a pile of laundry on top, now crawl into bed under the mess. If it was someone poor who couldn't afford to heat the place properly it's more insulation too, not just a mess.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.